Chapter 41

Isabella's POV:

My sword clashed with one of the Aluverian soldiers, both of us swinging back and forth to try to get the upper hand. I knew deep down my little burst of energy from Phillipa's arrival wouldn't last long, so I needed to make the most of it.

I punched the man in the face, catching him off guard before I slashed my sword through his stomach. As he fell to the ground, a strange feeling filled my stomach as the light left his eyes. I would have to worry about that later. I've made a promise to myself.

No matter what happens to me, I'll fight to protect my family.

I turn around, the movement making me slightly dizzy because of the head damage I'd sustained, but I was able to block the next attack thrown at me. The Aluverian soldier grit his teeth together, obviously hoping for a surprise attack.

I cut off his hand, making him shout out in pain before stabbing him through the neck where his armor was not covering him. 

He fell to the ground and I had to look away, trying to brace myself for more battles. This wasn't going to be easy. Even with Phillipa's charge, we were still outnumbered. 

But if we've survived this long already, we may possibly be able to make it to the end.

Phillipa joined me by my side, holding her sword up as she fought off another soldier who came at us. "You still have your wits about you, Bella?" she asks as she beheads the man, looking at me. I give her a weary nod, holding my sword back up.

"Of course." I say, swinging my sword at another soldier, clashing with him. He was a strong soldier, and he was slowly bearing down on me, getting the upper hand. My muscles screamed with pain as I tried to fend him off, and I could feel sweat begin to pour down my back. 

Taking a few deep breaths, I dropped to my knees, the soldier's momentum carrying him forward, throwing him off balance. I took my opportunity and flipped him over me, using every ounce of strength I could find. He landed on the ground with a thud, and before he could get back up I sliced his stomach.

I crawled away from the man on my knees, beginning to pant. I looked up, trying to see where Phillipa was, but she was already 20 feet away from me, engaged in battle. 

Taking deep breaths, I try to get my strength back, but the aches and the screams of my body told me otherwise. My arms were shaking and I couldn't feel my legs. "Come on, get up." I beg my body, trying to get my limbs to respond to me.

"Looks like you're done for." 

My eyes widen as I turn my head, seeing a soldier looming over me with a dark smile. He held his sword over his head and I could hear Phillipa screaming my name out of fear.

But before his blade can strike me down, another sword appears through his stomach, making both mine and his eyes widen. The soldier topples to the ground and I look to see who saved me, and tears came to my eyes.

"Harry." I whisper and he bends down, a worried look on his face. "What did they do to you?" he asks, obviously seeing the bad condition of my body. 

I look away from his eyes, unable to answer the question. He must have sensed my reluctancy, because he dropped the subject and put an arm around my back. "Never mind that, we can discuss it later. Come on, you've got to get up." he says, heaving me up and I cling to his arms.

He gets me to my feet, his arm still on my back to make sure I wouldn't fall down. 

"Can you stand?" he asks and I weakly nod, planting my feet on the ground as firmly as I could. He lets me go and I look at him, my eyes widening to see all of his injuries.