Chapter 2

Isabella's POV:

"Are you ready Layla?" I ask, looking around for my elusive child, only to hear her giggle from behind me. I turn around, seeing my daughter in her red summer dress, with frilly straps and frills at the edges at the bottom. She still had no shoes on and I let out a sigh.

"You have to wear your shoes, Layla." I say in a stern voice and she pouts. "But Momma, they're not comfy." she whines and I smile lightly. "I know they aren't, but you know how much Aunt Phillipa loves seeing you dressed up." I say and she giggles, nodding to me as I walked over, grabbed her shoes, and walked back to her.

Kneeling down, I began to put on her polished black dress shoes, with one strap to hold them on her feet. "And besides, once you start playing with Elizabeth and Edward, you'll be able to take off your shoes." I say and she smiles brightly, knowing I was right.

She squirms a little once she has her shoes on, but she just gives me a smile. "We're going to see Auntie Phi now?" she asks and I nod, holding out my hand and she takes it willingly, letting me lead her out of our little cottage. I locked it up behind me, tucking the keys into my purse before we took off.

Queen Phillipa must've sent a carriage for us, because as we came onto the main streets, there was one set out with a man in front, someone I've grown accustomed to seeing.

"Good morning Wesly." I say with a smile and he returns it, giving me a small bow. "Good morning, Miss Isabella. Good to see you today." he says, opening up the carriage door for us and I thank him politely, helping Layla into the carriage before getting in myself, Wesly sticking out a hand to help me. Once we're settled inside, Wesly shuts the door and gets into the front, grabbing the reigns of the horses and beginning to lead us towards the castle.

"Mister Wesly!!" Layla calls out, clambering over to the other side of the carriage so she was closer to him. "Yes?" he asks and I see the smile on his face. "Do you like leading us to the castle?" she asks and I raise an eyebrow in confusion.

Wesly lets out a small laugh before nodding his head. "I do, you always make it entertaining." he says, looking at Layla for a moment before looking back to the road. Layla smiles before sitting back down, seeming pleased with this information.

"I'm glad. I like it too. You're more fun than most adults." she says and I giggle, seeing Wesly laugh at her remark. "Well, I sure am glad I'm not boring." he says with a fake sigh of relief and I laugh. The rest of the ride was filled with small remarks between my child and our driver, and me chipping in every now and then.

Ever since Layla found the gold coin yesterday, Harry hasn't left my mind. Has he really become someone who would kill the innocent? Or were those just rumors? And even so...

Why hasn't he come back?

That question has haunted me for the past six years; a hope within me anxiously waiting for that knock on the door, for him to sweep me into his arms and apologize, for everything to be forgotten as he helps me raise our child.

But that didn't happen. And with every year that passes, the more that hope slowly begins to dwindle. I tried to keep myself hopeful for Layla's sake, because I never wanted her to see how sad her mother was. That's why I always smile when I'm with her. I am happy with her, truly, and I feel loved beyond belief when she hugs me or gives me a kiss.

But it's a different type of love that I'm missing.

"Miss Isabella?" I jumped at the sound of my name, seeing Wesly chuckle slightly as he opened up the carriage door. "Sorry to disturb your thoughts, ma'am, but we're here." he says in an apologetic tone and I smile at him.