Chapter 35

Isabella's POV:

All of us began to charge at once.

The small surge of pirates that flooded over the rocks and into the battlefield caught many of the Aluverian soldiers by surprise, catching their attention as we shouted a war cry.

I gripped my sword tightly in my hand, narrowing my eyes as I brought it up, clashing with the first soldier that came at me, blocking his attack. Gritting my teeth, I push as hard as I could, making the soldier stumble back. 

Swinging down, I slash both his legs and he crumples to the ground with a shout of pain. Without pausing, I leap over him, running further into the battlefield. We weren't a very big disturbance, considering the large amount of soldiers scattered across the beach, but we were slowly making our way from one side to the middle.

I maneuvered my way through soldiers, cutting their legs deeply so they crumpled to the ground, unable to fight. I'm not good at killing people. But this is something I can definitely do.

I heard a shout from behind me and I swiveled around, my eyes widening as three men charged me at the same time. They all swung their swords at my head, and I dropped to my hands, swinging my body around and kicking them in the legs, making them fall to their knees.

Getting a better grip on my sword, I got back to my feet, using the man in the middle as a boost, hurdling over him so I was behind the three soldiers. Before they could turn around, I swung my sword as hard as I could, slashing their backs to incapacitate them. With cries of pain they fell face first into the sand, gripping the cuts on their backs.

Not waiting to see if they got up or not, I continued to run, looking around to see if I could find any of my fellow fighters. 

My head turned to the left and I immediately dropped to the sand, a whizzing flying over my head and I looked over, a man with a crossbow reloading an arrow. Crossbows were extremely powerful and could travel far distances, and I knew if there was this man, there were bound to be others as well.

Scrambling to my feet, I ran away from the man, knowing I was no match for his weapon. I wouldn't be able to get close to him without getting an arrow through the heart. As I ran, I took out a few soldiers, giving them swift slices to the back of the legs, making them fall to the ground, useless.

"We need a strategy." I whisper frantically to myself, looking around desperately, trying to find someone I knew. We got separated so quickly and this was complete madness. There was no rhyme or reason to this fight, it was almost like every man for himself.

It was easy for me to snake my way through the soldiers, who were now aware of the pirates who were taking out dozens of their comrades. They were going back from attacking citizens and making their way over to where we entered, wanting a piece of the action.

We need to find the generals... I think, gritting my teeth together as I run, staying lower to the ground so I could get easy access to the soldier's legs.

"BELLA!"

My name made me look up, seeing Shayla nearby struggling with four men surrounding her, fighting off one while the others tried to sneak up on her from behind. She looked a little desperate and my eyes widen.

Taking a knife from my belt, I hurl the knife as hard as I can, sticking one of the men in the arm, making him cry out in pain, stumbling back to take the knife out. 

While he did that I ran straight for Shayla, slipping between her and another one of the men, who cursed at my appearance.

"You pirates were already supposed to be dead!" he spits and I grin, swinging my sword hard, the sound of clashing metal sounding in the air. "Surprise." I say dryly, hearing Shayla chuckle behind me.