9

After school jasper goes to the man cave. He couldn't focus in any of his classes today, he needed to see how Charlotte was doing, Schwoz had called the night before and said that Charlotte had some complications in the middle of the night, it was really bad, Schwoz sounded exhausted.defeated. Jasper hadn't been to the man cave in a long while, he didn't want to see Henry, he doesn't know if it's because he's still mad at Him or maybe because he feels guilty for the way he treated Him but no matter, he needed to see Charlotte, he needed to know if there was any progress, any sign of improvement, anything. After a scary ride down the elevator, he enters the man cave, it's empty. Ray must have gone crime fighting or something, Schwoz must be asleep and who knows where gooch is. He slowly walks to the place where Charlotte is lying in bed, he hears someone's voice, it's Henry, jasper slowly opens the curtain and sees him sited next to Charlotte's bed. He's holding her left hand.
Henry: I don't have much to tell you char, everything is still the same and everyone is doing pretty much the same thing that did last week. Waiting...waiting for you to wake up.
Henry: To tell you the truth i feel like everything has stopped char......since that night......nothing seems to make sense or matter anymore....so if you please wake up .......that......
Henry stops, his voice is breaking, he fights back the tears that threaten to fall, both Henry and jasper feel a lump on their throats, and their chests tighten. Henry clears his throat, and changes the topic.
Henry:well I'm sure you want to know how everyone is doing right? ray is.......ray is okay i think, I....er...haven't seen him much this past week honestly, Gooch is......well gooch is gooch, back to work as usual and hanging out with his weird plant nothing has changed much there. Ooh but um......Girda is doing such a great job being you, miss shapen and others have no idea that she's an android, she's so much like you it's scary, she goes for L.I.M.P meetings and gets straight 'A's just like you.............I tried to hang out with her a while back you know to keep people from suspecting anything but I couldn't do it........not while you're here, I couldn't pretend that everything's fine char.....I.....just couldn't.
Henry clears his throat, trying his best to hold back his tears.
Henry: Jasper's still not talking to me......he hates me,I don't blame him if I were him I wouldn't talk to me either.
A lump forms in Jasper's throat.
Henry: Schwoz is....um a little bit stressed, he doesn't understand why you won't wake up. He's done multiple tests and says you're fine and should be awake by now. You know.....you gave us quite the scare last night char.........when you started convulsing I.......I was so.......scared......I really thought you were going to......
Henry stops and breathes in deeply, it makes the tears he's been holding back fall so easily. He cries into her left hand.
Henry: char please wake up.......wake up and call me an idiot boy again, tell me what I'm doing wrong and......and......force me to buy the both of us fudge blast yogurt!........please.........please wake up......Charlotte come on please wake up.....I....i.....I haven't studied in a really long time, I know how much you hate it when I don't focus on my school work huh remember?.......so come on, wake up and force me to study or do my homework or something, anything char?.......c...h..char? Please wake up......
Jasper: Henry?
Henry turns to see a puffy, teary eyed jasper staring at him, he says nothing but quickly wipes off his tears and clears his throat.
Jasper: how is she doing?
Henry: she's .....um better than yesterday, Schwoz managed to stabilize her.
Jasper: is she going to be okay?
Henry: I.....don't know....
Jasper gives Henry a hug as both boys begin to cry. It was hard for them to see their friend attached to so many machines. It was even harder to see her android clone walking around school like everything fine when it isn't.
Jasper and Henry break apart, both clear their throats and wipe tears from their eyes and try their best not to make the situation awkward but it was too late.
Jasper: I wanted to apologize to you for what I said the other day, it isn't your fault this happened.
Henry: yes it is. She's like this because of me jasper because I got too confident, because I underestimated Drex.
Jasper: Henry accidents happen and this is exactly what it was, an accident. I'm sure Charlotte would say the same thing.
Henry says nothing but settles in the chair next to Charlotte.
Jasper: I haven't seen in you school for the past 5 days, where have you been?
Henry: here......
Jasper: Henry you can't skip school
Henry: I can't go there. Not with Girda around, I can't pretend everything is fine. And besides, Charlotte might wake up at any moment now and I need to be here when she does.
Jasper: ray told me that you haven't gone crime fighting with him in a while
Henry doesn't answer.
Jasper: henry
Henry: I can't do that any more
Jasper: what do you mean?
Henry: I mean I can't.....what if i..........i just can't. I cant go crime fighting with ray or anyone else I'm no hero, I can't help anyone
Jasper: Whoa dude don't you think that's a little too extreme?
Henry: jasper, ray needs a side kick he can depend on, someone whose mature and responsible.
Jasper: you are all those things
Henry: no, I'm not, I'm just a stupid kid who got his best friend hurt. Every body thinks so too, even though they won't say it.
Jasper: Henry nobody think that of you.
Henry: jasper I appreciate you trying to me feel better but I can't do it, not anymore I can't save anyone maybe you should try being ray's side kick.
Jasper: I can never take your place
Henry: somebody has to. If not you then maybe Schwoz will do it, he's always wanted to. I can't help anyone anymore I just can't do it.
Jasper: hen , I know this whole thing has got you in a bad place and you might have lost your confidence as a sidekick because of it but you'll see when Charlotte wakes up, everything's going to get back to normal and you'll be back to fighting crime with ray again!
Henry: if Charlotte wakes up she won't remember anything I'll make sure of that.

Author's Note: whoa what do you think he means by that?