34: What Makes Them Happy

When Ryou left the apartment for a while to get his money into his bank account so he could buy a plane ticket online, Melvin proceeded to inhale and exhale until he could relax. But why? Why relax when everything is falling apart?

Dinner was almost done but he couldn't find it in himself to eat.

"Is everything okay?" Ryou seemed to be asking that question any moment he could.

Bakura talked about this; Ryou always assumed the worst and he would worry until his head popped. He stopped when he got word from you so you two could talk things out, letting all be hunky-dory.

Melvin would have to act natural— Ryou was catching on that everything was absolutely not okay, but it wasn't exactly something he could talk to him about because he was the problem, so that really didn't give him much of an outlet for his feelings.

He'd have to do a very Bakura-like thing and just suck it up, and deal with it. Face the fact that Ryou was going away and that he'd never see him again. He couldn't interfere because this is what Ryou wanted, and what he deserved, what was going to make him happy.

But he felt like he had to say something. After all, Ryou was his only friend. He couldn't just stand by and let him leave.

"Hello, Ryou." He said, quietly, trying to think of how to start such a conversation. "You look lovely this evening— have I ever told you how beautiful you are?"

"Who's beautiful?" Ryou came back in, moving to the sink to get the smell of money off of his fingers. "Have you gotten a special someone?"

"I'm talking to the penne." Melvin said matter-of-factly. 

"I hope it's good then!" Ryou beamed, then continued to work about at his computer.

To strike conversation and spark some hope, he asked, "So...is it enough?"

"The dinner looks lovely, so far."

"No— I mean, your money. Will you be able to...?"

Ryou looked up at him, catching the hint of unease in his voice. He nodded and smiled excitedly, but he still couldn't quite put his finger on it. "I counted it all. Twice. It's all digital, now, although the lady at the counter thought my Pringles cans were quite amusing."

Then Melvin cleared his throat. "Could I...ask you something?"

Ryou was paying attention but kept his eyes on the screen. "Anything."

Go on. Tell him now.

"I...uh..." he scratched at his head, suddenly blurting out, "Can you watch the food? I need a thing from my apartment."

"Sure! I'll be extra careful." Ryou smiled, sitting up and moving over to the counter.
When Melvin didn't move, he assured, "Don't worry! I think I've grown to be an excellent cook!"

Melvin still didn't feel like he could move.

"Go on, Stud Muffin!"

"...Stud Muffin...?"

Ryou's smile made his cheeks pink. "It suits you. I'm Creampuff, you're Stud Muffin."