2: Empty Wishes

Walking up the stairs was pretty much running uphill -only, when it's stairs that you're dealing with, you've got a railing to lean on. Ryou forced one tired foot in front of the other as he made his way up four flights because the elevator was jammed. He didn't run or stomp, but he refused to be sluggish when his cozy bed was only moments away.
At least he found some change on flight 4.

By the time he reached the top, he was already out of breath. Ryou leaned against the wall by the door, panting and feeling wobbly at the knees. He didn't think he'd sweat, but today was a little busier at work than usual, leaving him more tired than he'd thought. It only pained him more to know that he'd have to do the same thing the next day, but even in between his two jobs.

Finally he hoisted himself up and opened the door, making his way down the hall to his apartment. When he entered, Ryou shut the door behind him and let out a big sigh that soon became a yawn. After going to the bathroom to brush his teeth, and with his change in hand, he went into his room and shut the door, face planting onto his bed. 

"I'm too tired to be hungry..." he groaned, knowing the leftovers of yesterday's dinner were calling to his empty tummy.

Ryou reached over and dropped the change into the little slot of a piggy bank, then wrote how much he added into a notebook. "...every little bit counts..." he chanted to himself, seeing the sticky note, the writing on the notepad, and on each can all had those same words.

That piggy bank sat next to coffee cans and jars and one of those big Pringles containers, all filled with money and a slot was cut into each lid. Every time something got full, Ryou'd take a marker and write the amount that filled it onto the container, then "EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS!"  on each full one.

He pulled his pillow to his face and turned, facing the curtain-drawn window. He reached out, hoping that he'll discover he had telekinetic powers and the curtains will pull themselves apart. Carrie did it. Eleven did it. It was about time those abilities awakened and he could—nope. Not today.

Ryou huffed and stood; he'd have to change into pajamas anyway. His pale hands pulled the curtains, and he got a beautiful nighttime city view.

The sky was a beautiful shade of indigo, the city lights made that deep color all fuzzy. Not a single star shone in the sky to accompany the lonely moon. Sure, there were those sneaky helicopters that thought they could pretend, but no one likes a fake hoe.

Ryou squinted closer, making sure he wasn't tricked. He caught a glimpse of the light and smiled a little.
One star -just the one- shone brightly in the night sky. Light pollution didn't dim it enough to snuff it out entirely, which filled Ryou with an odd feeling of hope. That little star beat the odds.

Ryou couldn't ignore it; he approached the glass and sat upon his window seat.

Leaning closer to the window, catching sight of his reflection in the glass, he felt like a child; wearing pajamas and wishing on stars like wishes are guaranteed to come true.
But he wasn't a child and knew that wishes were made up to not depress children, so it was all pointless. He didn't know why his hopes were up. Ryou felt like he was getting much too old for star-wishing.

But, he lived alone. And one little wish, or prayer, or whatever...it wouldn't hurt.

He decided to speak to the star like an old friend. The same kind of friend that would listen to you vent on about the way the world is, how much it just bites you in the ass.

"I'm actually not quite sure where to begin, really."

Ryou didn't ask for wealth or fame or anything like that. He didn't want to sound spoiled, despite that he was talking to a star, and nobody would actually hear him. Still, hearing himself act like a brat made him feel awful. Plus, there were more important things on his mind.

He thought of his money jars and opened his mouth to wish, but shut it when he thought more about it. Yes, he really did want to get as much money as he needed, but...

That wasn't what he wanted the most.

"May I...?" He stopped, realizing he was being polite to the star and not even wishing properly. "...I wish for...someone."
Way to be specific, Ryou.
"It can be anyone, really." Ryou added, trying to figure out exactly what he was wishing for. "I just want some company."

The star continued to twinkle in the moonlight. The busy city rushing beneath it didn't seem to notice it nor the beautiful decoration it made for the sky.

"It doesn't have to be romantic, or anyone perfect," Ryou continued with his wish as sleep began to make his eyes all droopy. "I'm a little tired of spending everyday by myself."

He yawned. "Please...just a friend who needs me as much as I need them." He slowly got up from his spot, but turned and added, "And...if it's not too much to ask...could they be someone who doesn't mind a hug or two?"

Physical affection wasn't a priority, but some people just didn't like being touched, hugged, or kissed.

Of course, kisses came from relationships of the romance kind. And at the moment, his heart wasn't done healing to start another. But, admittedly, he missed gentle kisses and warm hugs. He missed love and smiles. He missed the friends that would come over and the laughs they'd share.

Ryou was just tired of being alone.

But what good would a wishing star do? He wished on it before, and life only got worse. No one could hear him, no one could hear what he wanted. His breath was only wasted on empty wishes that won't come true.

The tired eyes of the lonely boy were becoming too hard to keep open. He stood from his seat and closed the curtains, feeling weird and exposed if he had left them open. It was just one of his habits that he'd developed from...everything.

One foot in front of the other, and Ryou finally got onto his bed after changing into pajamas. He curled up in the blankets and lay down his sleepy head.

Morning used to be his favorite time of the day. Breakfast, tea, fresh clothes, and the warm sunlight, he would smile at waking up. Now he loved nighttime, where it was dark and starry and everything seemed quieter.

Ryou assumed that morning wasn't his favorite anymore because he'd have to go to work, get tired, and come back home like a zombie of some sort.

Yet, night meant sleep. And sleep was peace.
And that's how Ryou wished he could sleep, once more.

Peacefully.