32: The Two Who Weren't Enough

OMG

WHEN I TITLED THE CHAPTER "SORRY FOR BEING A BITCH" EVERYONE ASSUMED IT WAS ME

I NAMED IT THAT BECAUSE BAKURA SAID NEAR THE END OF THE CHAPTER "IM SORRY FOR BEING A BITCH"

NOT BECAUSE OF WHAT I DID

WOW GUYS

Oh btw I think I should mention a bit of a trigger warning (I think that's what it's called anyway...?) because I write about a sense of uselessness

Ryou kept his eyes on the mulch, kicking his shoes in it and paying little attention to much else. He was in one of those moods again, where he could sit and think about absolutely nothing. Of course he wanted to keep thinking about his conversation with Bakura, and definitely concern himself with Melvin's whereabouts, but he knew he needed a minute to step back and collect himself.

The swing he sat on swayed ever so gently. He decided he could swing. The other day, he hadn't gotten his turn. He may not swing as high without someone to push him, but he could do just fine.

Ryou's pale little hands grabbed hold of the ropes and he walked backward as far as he could. He kept his rump on the seat as he let go, swooping forward. He used his leg power to push himself higher, and he was doing just fine on his own.

He couldn't help but smile. It was hard to recall the last time he was swinging on a swing set, having so much fun as he moved to and fro.

As he ascended, he was forced to look at the apartment building across the street.

Ryou had begun to think about it again. He remembered that, a year ago, he gazed upon the building with such hope and bliss. To think, a new home in a new place, and every day was like an adventure.

Then a few months afterwards, every day felt eternal and he was reminded that he wasn't home at all.

His fun came to an abrupt halt as someone grabbed hold of the ropes as he swung backwards. He almost fell forward, but he felt an arm curl around his waist and pull him back. Ryou's breathing grew heavier and his heart was pounding in his chest, and despite his curiosity, he was too scared to turn around and see who it was.

Since he didn't want to give his Creampuff a heart attack, Melvin twisted the ropes to get Ryou to face him, and he smiled. "Boo."

"Melvin!" Ryou cheered, reaching out to him. Quickly he resorted to scolding him. "You frightened me! Where have you been? I was worried sick!"

Instead of answering, Melvin sneered and let go of the swing, letting the ropes unravel and Ryou took off to spin in circles.
His long hair whipped around and around, his entire being was blurred out.

When the ropes remained dormant again, Ryou laughed and yet could see two Melvins. He frowned, for he did not think he could handle two Melvins.

"You looked lonely." Melvin spoke once Ryou stopped wobbling.

"I am lonely."

"Not anymore." Then he took Ryou's ropes and stood from behind, giving him a push to start him forward.

"Melvin?"

"It's your turn." He smirked. "It's belated, but it's your turn."

Ryou smiled and looked ahead, feeling even more joy as the wind flopped his hair around, and reveling in the safety of a person to catch him if he fell.

It felt like he could take to the sky and soar.

Eventually he was getting tired, and assumed that Melvin might've been feeling the same. He let his feet hit the mulch and told Melvin to please cling to the ropes so he could stop.