Chapter 8

(A/n) The layout of the shack might not match the one from the show perfectly since we don't really get many good looks of it on the show, so just bare with me.  I'm to lazy to edit this, so if you see a mistake you can point it out for me to fix later.  Also this chapter has 1223 words!  (Not including this a/n of course)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dipper you shouldn't be this nervous about a guest, he mentally scolded himself.   It's not like he's going to be critiquing everything about you.  He's not even really that much of a guest, he's a mental patient. 

The teen was scrambling to clean up the house before the people from the asylum arrived with the patient he would be housing.  Though the shack was already clean do to his neatness, he was still doing anything he could to make it look absolutely perfect.

He sighed, What am I doing.  He stopped dusting the table beside the couch, feeling stupid for his over excessive behavior.  Slumping into the couch, he looked over at the clock on the wall.  They'll be here any second.

Just as he realized that, a knock on the door rang through the silence of the shack.  After getting up, the boy excitedly ran to the door and opened it. 

On the porch stood three people, two males, and one female.  The female had strawberry blonde hair and wore a plain Doctor's outfit that had a belt like cloth of the same color tying around the thinnest part of her waist.   She looked tired and relieved.   The oldest male had messy black hair, glasses, and had a similar outfit as the woman, looking somewhat happy and sad at the same time.  Both were wearing name tags.   The second male had hair that was so blonde it looked golden, and was wearing a baggy shirt and pair of shorts that were a bland shade of light blue.  He looked bored as he stared at the ground, but Dipper thought he could see a hint of interest in his expression.  The male with glasses spoke up first.

"Hello, we're from the Gravity Falls Asylum.  I presume you're Mason Pines?"

He internally cringed at his name being said by a non-family member.  "I am, but you can call me Dipper,"  He answered, smiling through his dislike in formality.

"I'm Dr. James, this is Dr. Johnson,"  he motioned to himself and then to the woman.  They both took turns shaking hands with the brunet boy.  The man smiled as he continued.  "And this is C17, the patient you'll be housing."

At the mention of his 'name', the under dressed patient looked Dipper in the eyes for the first time since they'd arrived and his eyes widened as he gave a quite shocked reaction.  After sizing the boy up and down multiple times, he forced his expression to normal.  Dipper couldn't tell why he did this.  And for some reason the boy noticed that the patient looked almost exactly the same age as he was.

"It's nice to meet you all.  Would you like to come inside?"  The brunet politely stepped aside signaling for them to enter the home.

"Thank you."  Finally speaking, the lady stepped into the shack, followed by the other two.

He led them to the kitchen, where they all sat down at the table.  Coincidentally, there were four chairs there, Dipper sitting in the one across from C17, and the two doctors the same.

"Here's a copy of the file of information we have on him," Dr. Johnson sated, reaching over the table to hand him a yellow orange envelope.  On the front of it was, in big letters, 'File C17'.  "You can go over it on your own after we leave, but there's not much in there."  He mumbled a 'thanks' after taking it, and the room went into an awkward silence. . .

Dr. James, who had been shuffling nervously, broke the silence.  "Maso-  I mean Dipper," he started, correcting himself when he messed up.  "Could I talk to you in private for a second?"

"Umm, sure, we can go into the living room."  He stood up and walked to the room with the older trailing behind.  Once they were out of the others' range of hearing, he pushed up his glasses and began to frantically explain/beg.

"I know he may seem scary and distant, but he can be nice, at times.  But only to those he knows are worthy of his trust, like me.  You see, I don't think he's really that crazy, he just doesn't know how to act around people.  Please, I need you to promise me that you'll try to teach him to act normal, so that when we come to get him for his next test, they'll say that he's ready to reenter Society."  He took a deep breath, having not taken any during his ramble.

Dipper stared at the doctor's pleading eyes and searched for the words he didn't have due to a newfound anxiety.  "I. . . "

"Please," he begged in a voice barely a whisper.  The teen knew he couldn't refuse the man's request.  Biting his lip, he nodded, causing the other's face to relax.  "Thank you."

They walked back into the kitchen together.  When Dr. Johnson saw them she looked relieved to not be alone with the patient anymore and got up from her seat.  "Do you think you can handle him from here?" 

Seeing she was getting uncomfortable, Dipper told them he could handle it and sent them on there way. 

He walked over to -the now standing- C17 and tried to start a conversation.  "I think we should have a more proper introduction," he smiled, emphasizing 'proper'.  "My name's Dipper Pines, I'm 18, and I like to read."  He did a bow to try to add humor.

" . . . . "

"Now this is the part where you introduce yourself," he whispered in a way that was more humored than anything else.

The other looked away in thought for a moment, as if contemplating on what to say, then turned back to him with the same expressionless look.  "My name's Bill Williamson, age 19, I like to read as well."  His voice held a little bit of clearly fake interest.

Hearing his first name sent shivers through him, but he quickly pushed away the uncertainty, not wanting to stereotype him from his own personal experiences. "It's nice to meet you Bill, I hope we can come to getting along with each other," he chirped, ignoring the other boy's impolite attitude, and smiled, holding out a hand for him to shake.

Bill stared at the hand, distrust, uncertainty, shock, and even relief was evident in his gaze.  But all of the mixed emotions faded to annoyance quicker than they had appeared, making Dipper wonder if the look had only been his imagination.

After regaining his far off attitude, the older scowled, clearly not in the mood for anymore discussion.  "Can we please talk more in morning?  If you don't mind, right now I would just like to go to sleep."

Dipper sighed his giving in and led him to the couch that had a blanket and pillow on it.  Though he hadn't set up a bed yet, Bill thankfully didn't seem to mind sleeping on the 'second class' furniture.

After Bill was settled, Dipper went upstairs to his room and went to bed himself, seeing it had gotten later than he intended and not caring that he hadn't done any of his usual nighttime rutine.  But before he gave up his consciousness to sleep, a thought of realization and a little regret crawled it's way into his mind.

This might actually be harder than I'd thought.