Chapter 1

"C17, p-put the knife down. You know you're not supposed to have it." Demanded the terrified nurse who was trying to sound full of authority and not stutter in the process. She was failing. Miserably.

"C17? Why so formal? You know my name, just like I know everything about you. Isn't that right, Penny Lou Hefton, age 23, not married, first year as an assistant asylum nurse?" Remarked the teen in a calm voice who was looking down at a silver kitchen knife in his hands that was surprisingly sharp.

"H-how do y-you kno-"

"Let me ask you something," The man cut her off, he then looked up from his bed that he was sitting on to meet her eyes that were full of fear. "Should you really be here?"

She was shocked at the question and got a bit defensive. "I'm here beca-" again she was cut off.

"Because you think that's what your brother would've wanted, for you to help people who are classified as insane like him and me? Because you want to help others like they helped him? Well sorry to be the one to break it to you, but he wasn't insane, he didn't need any sort of special treatment, and they only told your parents that, because the asylum needed the insurance money and your parents are to stupid to realize that their own son isn't a psychopath."

The nurse now had tears rolling down her shocked and trembling face as she stared in disbelief at the calm, blonde man whose hair covered his left eye that he wouldn't let anyone see.

"Oh and one more thing, Dr. Louhan is only 'going out' with you so that he can get you to come 'take care' of me because no one else will come within three feet of me."

"Y-you're l-lying!" She cried, her voice full of distress, sadness, and fear. Though she didn't want to believe it, looking back, she knew everything was true.

Her brother's sanity; how happy her brother was the few times she was let visit him at the very closed off asylum.   Memories of seeing that there was nothing crazy in those eyes, just the pure sadness that glazed them while knowing he couldn't come back home.

Her fake relationship; when Dr. Louhan always came up with obviously lame excuses for not being able to go on dates with her.   Containing her silent suspicion that was always pushed back with his 'Sorry,' and 'I love you' lines that easily slipped past his lying teeth.   Along with his almost needy voice when he asked her to tend to patient C17 because the usual nurse was 'sick' and won't be back for a while.

Crying, she ran out of the room to most likely drive herself home.

C17 got up from his spot on the bed and flipped the light switch off, forcing the room to blacken, then returned to the bed and sat on it criss-cross.

After a minute a male doctor opened the door letting the hallway light spill in. He stepped into the mostly grey, and dull looking room, looked around, and sighed. "This is the second nurse this week."

"I know Doctor Henry James," replied the patient, still twiddling with the knife.

The doctor didn't know how he knew his name but brushed it off, trying not to think about it.  "I am not going to try to take the knife from you this time because I know you'll just go and get another one," He turned back to the door and grabbed the handle.

Before leaving the patient to the darkness of the room, Dr. James advised, "You should try getting some sleep tonight C17, or you might never get out of here."

Still satisfied from his previous victory, he decided to not argue, "Fine."

"Thank you."  Suprised from the easy answer, he left the room, closing the door behind him, once again letting the shadows ingulf the patient.