Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jezebel’s POV

A few days passed and I was amazed to see how quickly someone’s popularity could grow over a small amount of time. Guys and girls alike seemed to flock to him like he had some sort of, well I don’t know. I’ve never seen people be so interested in a new kid like that. All the girls wanted him and all the guys want to be friends with him. I didn’t know what others saw in him because the only thing I did was trouble.

Well at first I thought he was trouble, especially after my encounter with him outside our English classroom. Since then he hadn’t really said much to me at all. In fact he’d pretty much only glanced at me a few times in classes. I didn’t really know what to think about him anymore. I tried to think positively seeing as there was no way he could have bad intentions because I personally watched every single person with darkness in their heart die. So he couldn’t be here because he wanted retribution.

I tried to explain my thoughts to Josh but he wasn’t taking any of it. He was adamant that Ryder was up to something. He wouldn’t let it go no matter how much I tried to convince him otherwise. Even after we’d seemingly had no contact from him in days, Josh still didn’t believe it. I didn’t know if Josh truly believed what he was saying or if it just freaked him out that Ryder looked just like his brother had. I wasn’t really sure what was going through his head because every time I brought it up he’d immediately shut me down.  It was frustrating having Josh almost mad at me all the time. We had such a close relationship but Ryder seemed to be driving a wedge between us even if he didn’t know it.

In general I liked going to school but the last few days had been uneventful but in a way kind of awkward. I was deliberately avoiding Ryder in the halls and at lunch time. Not that I really needed to because he never stopped me when I walked by. At lunch times he always seemed preoccupied with his huge following of kids. I had heard from Josh that he had somehow managed to sneak his way onto the football team. Josh obviously was not impressed at all.

I was thinking all of this through as I was walking through the school halls. I was obviously zoned out because someone had grabbed my arm and was trying to talk to me, but I was off in my own little world. It was only when the person started to frantically wave a hand in front of my face that I snapped out of it. Blinking dazedly for a few seconds and shaking my head to clear it, I turned to see who was there. Chase. He was in his football gear. Then I remembered there was football practise this lunch. And then I saw the look on Chase’s face. The smile that had appeared when I realised it was him was wiped off my face.

A million different emotions ran through me and I could tell Chase knew I felt panicked so he jumped in before I could start asking questions.

“Ok Jez, I don’t want you to go nuts or anything ok….” Chase bit down on his lip and slightly raised his eyebrows.

“Ch-Chase, what’s wrong? Is Josh ok? Why isn’t he here but you are? It’s Josh isn’t it?” I shot out a million questions and when he didn’t answer any of them I tried to pull away from him.

Chase held onto me tightly, “Jezebel wait a second! Josh isn’t hurt, ok! He’s uuuhh well, he’s…” He paused and ran a hand through his hair clearly stressed.

“Chase! Just tell me what the hell is going on!” I tried not to yell but Chase was really making me worry.

Chase made a funny face before rushing out, “Josh is being suspended!”

For a few minutes I didn’t move and just stood there staring at Chase. My mind was a complete blank just like my expression. I could tell Chase was starting to worry when I didn’t say anything. But the only thing I could think of was this had to be some kind of a sick joke.