Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Ryder’s POV

I was expecting a reaction from Jezebel, but I was definitely not expecting it to be straight up the next day. I saw her walk into school with red, puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks. I watched her from behind my locker door as she cast a look around to see if anyone had noticed before walking into the girl’s bathroom.

I finished grabbing my books for class and shoving them in my backpack before moving closer to the entrance to the bathroom. I tried to look as not creepy as I could waiting outside of the girls bathroom, but I got mixed reactions from people. One girl from one of my classes was walking my way looking like she wanted to chat me up when I finally saw Jezebel reappear from the bathroom. I pushed off of the wall I’d been leaning on and quickly darted after her. The chick who had been coming my way looked sorely disappointed.

“Jezebel, wait up!” I called out to her because she was setting a cracking pace.

She faltered in her stride, slowing down and then just stopped all together, like she’d given up. I caught up to her easily then and she turned to look at me. Her expression was guarded but she couldn’t hide the sadness in her eyes. She seemed to take one long look at me and then break. She tried to fight the tears blinking rapidly and biting her lip to stop it from quivering. But she just collapsed.

I stepped closer to her and wrapped her in my arms, pulling her close while she cried into my shirt. She didn’t pull away like I thought she would but instead leaned into me. I tried not to let myself think about how good it felt to hold her. She felt so small and fragile in my arms, like she was already broken. I didn’t want to let her go and I’d never felt like that before. It seriously confused me because this was the girl who took everything from me. Jezebel had everything and I had nothing. Gritting my teeth I forced myself to remember the vision I’d seen from Jezebel where she murdered my father. With a clenched jaw I pushed down all traitorous feeling I had and set my eyes back on the target. Destroying Jezebel Spencer.

Keeping my hold on her I stepped back a little and whispered, “Let’s go somewhere a little quieter, you know less people.”

She nodded numbly and let me lead her outside of the school, to one of the most private places I know. We walked slowly and silently until I stopped at a shaded spot under a tree. From the location I’d picked the tree trunk kept us invisible from the school. So no one at the school would see us and nobody really went by here, making this spot relatively private.

I sat down and leaned back on the tree trunk and Jezebel followed my lead. Sitting down next to me she still had enough room to lean back as well. She wiped her eyes with her hands and tried to not let anymore escape. The air was silent only broken by the loud cawing of crows in the distance. I was watching her and I could tell she was deliberately avoiding looking at me. I wondered if looking at me made her remember her fight with Josh.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked gently.

She fidgeted a little before turning her head towards me, “Josh, he-he.” She couldn’t finish and had to take a shuddering breath to steady herself.

I decided to fill in the blanks, “You told Josh what I said didn’t you?”

She nodded a single tear tracing its way down her cheek.

Trying to keep the righteous smirk off of my face I prodded, “I’m guessing that didn’t go down well?”

She smiled wanly, “You could say that.”

“I just wish this had never happened. I was so wrong about you and when I told Josh that he got so angry. I want this to all go away. I just wish I could go back in time and start again and then Josh and I would be all right again,” she blabbered as the tears started up again.

Hugging her knees to her chest it looked like Jezebel was trying to make herself as small as possible. I moved closer to her and wrapped her in another hug. She didn’t resist but instead kind of melted just giving in to the hug. Her head rested on my chest and I had a clear view of her neck. I knew what I had to do. Sending a furtive glance around to make sure that there was no one close by. As soon as I saw that the place was 100% deserted I turned back to Jezebel.

Zeroing in on where my instincts were telling me a major vein was pulsing just under her soft skin I moved with my heightened vampire speed. Biting down hard on her neck I heard Jezebel let out a strangled cry before I clamped a hand over her mouth to stop her from alerting anyone. The instant the skin broke I was assaulted with the most mind blowing explosion of rich vibrant power pulsing through her blood.

She was clawing at me all over, trying to get me to stop. I certainly wasn’t interested in doing that any time soon. So to stop the annoyance I grabbed her wristed with one hand and pinned them to her side while still drinking deeply and making sure she stayed quiet. Well mostly quiet anyway. She was squirming a lot and resisting which must have hurt. Her attempts to get me to stop weakened as I continued to take more and more of her luscious blood.

I kept drinking from her until I knew she was unconscious. It was easy to tell when that happened because all the fight just left her body and she grew limp in my arms. Even once I’d gotten her unconscious I struggled to stop drinking from her because he blood was so intoxicating and powerful. I had to remind myself that if I didn’t stop she would die and I wanted her alive. Forcing myself to stop I closed the wound on her neck with the strange ability us vampires had and leaned back letting Jezebel lye limply in my lap.

I took a few deep breaths to slow my rapidly beating heart and to keep the buzz of Jezebel’s infinitely strong witch blood under control. Getting my head around what I’d just done and how close I was to getting my revenge I started to search Jezebel’s pockets. Finally locating her car keys in her bag stuck them in my pocket before picking up Jezebel and standing up. Luckily she’d driven herself to school today and I wasn’t going to have to carry her all the way back to my place.

Jogging to the car park with Jezebel’s almost weightless body in my arms I hoped to God that no one would suddenly appear and see what I was doing. Not sure what her car looked like I just clicked the unlock button on her key and looked around for the car to make a noise or the lights to flash. Turning at the almost inaudible beep that regular humans wouldn’t have been able to hear I located what would have to be the most expensive car in the lot. Of course.

I laid her on along the back seat and closed the door quietly before jumping into the driver’s seat. I didn’t think I knew how to drive a car but somehow found myself starting the car, putting it into drive and peeling out of the school’s parking lot. Adrenaline pumping through my buzzing body,I sped the short distance to my apartment. The whole ride I couldn’t take my mind off of the sweet intoxicating taste of Jezebel’s blood. I could still taste it im my mouth. I wanted more but I knew she was too weak and especially if I couldn’t get a handle on myself she’d probably not make it through if I bit her again right now.

Parking in the underground car park that was under my apartment block I speedily got out and scooped Jezebel from out of the back seat. She was still out cold and looked quite peaceful as I walked up the less used stairs to my floor. Finding it a little more difficult to unlock my front door while holding onto Jezebel I once again somehow managed to do both. Once inside I locked the doors firmly and finally allowed myself to smile.

I let myself grin like an idiot for a few moments before getting back to reality. I still had a lot to do before I got my revenge. I placed Jezebel’s peacefully sleeping body in the middle of the open floor and just stood there staring at her face. She really did just look very serene.

Smirking down at her I told her despite her being out cold and probably unable to hear me, “That’s going to change real soon Jezebel Spencer. You’re entire life is going to turn into a living hell.”

Laughing wickedly I turned away from her still form and went to gather all the supplies I was going to need to pull off my revenge riddled plan.