Prologue (Flashback - You must read this first!!!)

The following involves a flashback with Kyle (aka Josh’s now dead older brother) and Charlie (evil witch who is friends with Kyle but is also dead). This flashback provides a lot of important information for the rest of the story. Enjoy! :D

FLASHBACK – Three months before their deaths.

“How likely is it going to be that Charlie’s spell is going to be needed?” Lucy asked of no one in particular.

When no one responded Lucy pressed on, “Kyle, this is your son we’re talking about! He’s not even three years old, so tell me how likely it is!”

Frustrated and worked up Kyle strode to the other side of the room to lean against the wall. He stood there for countless minutes staring out the window clenching and unclenching his fists.

With a stony look on his face Kyle turned around to face the mother of his child, “It’s likely.”

Exasperated Lucy threw her hands up in the air, “I know it’s likely, but by how much?!”

Feeling defeated Kyle answered softly, “I honestly don’t know. This kid that can change everything, she’s powerful beyond what anyone knows. But I don’t know which way she’s going to side with and that’s why we have to go after her so Charlie’s spell won’t have to be used. Lucy, it’s going to be a fifty-fifty chance, ok. But I’m going to try my hardest so we won’t have to do this to our son!”

Charlie had been sitting on an armchair in the corner of the room as he watched the couple fight. He could see that the conversation was going south and he felt obligated to object.

“May I just add that the spell will only take effect if Kyle dies because he and his son share the same blood that is how the spell will activate. Lucy, try not to worry so much, Kyle is going to have a whole team of wolves with him and I’ll be there too. Think about it, is this 15 year old girl seriously going to be able to take out a whole team of wolves, a vampire and another witch? I don’t think so especially since I recently got wind that she doesn’t even know what she is,” Charlie snorted, shaking his head in disgust.

After staring at his son play on the floor Kyle looked straight into Lucy’s eyes and said, “Charlie is right. I’m going to be fine and you shouldn’t worry. We’re going to get this kid on our side and Ryder is going to grow up like any normal child, ok.”

Kyle sighed and turned his back to the other because he knew that guilt was spread across his face. He felt bad for convincing Lucy that he was going to be fine when he knew that there was a very big chance he wouldn’t get out of this alive. His heart broke when he thought about what he was condemning his son to if he died. His heart went cold as a new steely resolve settled over him. He straightened up and turned around to face Lucy. He walked over to her and took her face in his hands.

“I am going to do whatever it takes, do you understand me? Whatever it takes to get this girl to do what we want. She will change everything for us, we’ll rule over everything together as a family. I’ll break this kid until she does what we want, it’s going to be our side that wins Lucy,” Kyle spoke reverently and with true belief.

Kyle heard Charlie get up and head towards the door so Kyle quickly bent down and kissed Lucy on the forehead. He turned away from the two things in this world that he actually loved and went to follow Charlie out the door.

“Wait!” Lucy stopped Kyle just before he left.

With a small quiver in her voice Lucy went on, “Di-did you write that letter to Ryder explaining what happened just in case you…..don’t come back?”

Kyle looked over Lucy; the small but strong vampire was one of the reasons why he left his parents and brother, that and the fact that she was pregnant. But also because he was sick of being the second favourite son compared to his younger brother Josh. Glancing at Ryder who was still playing with a toy train on the floor Kyle couldn’t help but notice how much his son looked like him.

“Kyle, did you write the letter? I don’t want to be the one who has to explain to our son why one day he wakes up as a 17 year old boy when he was not even three the night before,” Lucy tried to sound stern but her voice broke at the end.

“Yeah, I did. It’s sealed in an envelope and pinned to the fridge. Lucy I-“ But he was cut off by Charlie.

“Come one Kyle we got to go if we want this to work. We need all the time we can get,” Charlie then proceeded to pull Kyle out of the door.

While he still could Kyle told Lucy and his son, “I love you both and I promise you I will come back. I promise you.”

Kyle then disappeared from the doorway and that was the last time he ever saw his son, Ryder and Lucy. That was the last time they ever saw Kyle.

And this is how the story begins.