Chapter 8

A shorter chapter this time, sorry guys... It might be a little confusing too not sure. Hope you you like it though!! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 8

Jezebel’s POV

Walking into the library to meet Ryder, I was still unsure how I was going to play this. Before talking to him after our first class this morning I still firmly believed that he somehow had something to do with Kyle. But then when he was talking to me he sounded to so far from what Kyle had, compasionate and sorry. It confused me to no end. So I did the only thing that I could think of.

I called Josh.

The phone rang and rang. I was about to give up, thinking he wasn’t going to answer, when his voice came through.

“Jezebel?” Josh asked through the phone.

“Josh!” I replied maybe a little too enthusiastic, but I really didn’t think he was going to pick up.

“Jez is everything ok? Shouldn’t you be in class?” Josh asked worry lightly threaded through his voice.

I sighed thankful that he wasn’t still angry, “Yeah, I’m fine. I just needed to hear your voice.”

I walked to a more secluded area of the school so I wouldn’t be over heard. Sitting down on a bench I decided that talking this out with Josh was more important than one class. So I’d take whatever trouble I might be in for skipping and proceeded to tell Josh everything I knew about Ryder. The visions we’d shared in the Principal’s office. The note I left and the one he returned. And lastly, about Ryder coming up and asking to meet to finish telling his side of the story.

I let Josh mull over everything I said about Ryder and who I thought he was and my extreme confusion. Then to my surprise he accepted this without hesitation and then decided it was best to tell me his version of what had happened in the locker room with Ryder. After he finished speaking I understood why Josh didn’t want to tell me before, because what Ryder had said was so wrong on every level it made me want to punch him myself.

“Josh, I’m sorry. I just should have believed you when you sai-“ I began my apology but Josh cut in.

I could tell he had been uncomfortable about repeating what Ryder had said but he forcefully replied, “Jez, don’t apologise. We were both in the wrong and now we both know it. We shouldn’t keep thinking about what we did wrong. It’s the issue we have now that we need to deal with.”

I was glad that Josh was sounding reasonable because I was feeling like a lost puppy, “You’re right but what can we do when we really have no idea about...well anything.”

Josh’s end was silent for a long time before he spoke with certainty, “I’ve got a plan.”

I replayed Josh’s words in my mind, building my confidence as I walked towards where Ryder sat in the library. Ignoring his offer of the chair directly beside him I chose my own. One that was not as close to him but not too far away as to seem resistant. I avoided his eyes not really knowing what he’d find in mine. The silence between us grew so I said what was probably expected from him.

“I thought I was here for you to explain. There’s not a lot of explaining going on. Or are you just trying to screw with me?”

From then on I let him tell his stories and tried my best to look understanding. I was watching his face carefully looking for any signs of…well I wasn’t entirely sure what I was looking for because I really didn’t know what he was going to say until he said it. But I guess I was looking for him to stuff up, make a slip in his perfect façade. I added my bit to the conversation, spurring him on through his lies but he never once stumbled.

How could this guy be such a good liar? His amazing string of lies puzzled me and all I wanted to do was get out of the library and call Josh again. Basically ditching Ryder in the library hoping that I half made him think I believed his explanation about the punch up. I was about to bolt to somewhere private when I had an idea.

Quickly glancing over my shoulder to make sure Ryder hadn’t followed me out of the library yet, I darted into the nearest classroom. I silently stood in the empty classroom with the door cracked open just enough to see when Ryder stepped out of the library. And when he did, Ryder had the most wickedly evil grin splayed across his face. That look sent trickles of ice down my spine. Closing the door sharply I leaned against it and slid down to the ground. My knees were up to my chin and I rested my head on the door.

I sat in the silence of the science classroom for a few moments breathing deeply to calm my fried emotions before I pulled out my phone. This time round Josh picked up on the first ring.

“Hey Jez, you all right?” Josh asked me straight off genuinely concerned.

I smiled weakly wondering how I could have ever doubted him, “I love you so much Josh. You were right the whole time. I don’t know why I didn’t see it. I was stupid and blind and-“

He cut me off sternly, “Woah, woah slow down a minute. Yeah I knew I was right, but you’re not blind or stupid for not seeing it. You feel guilty, because he looks damn like Kyle and you felt like you had to give him a break. That and you are the most kind hearted person I know and you believe that everyone deserves a chance. And for the record, I love you too.”

This time I smiled fully but a small tear managed to escape and slid down my cheek, “Why does this happen to us? Why can’t we just be normal and not have to deal with crazy stuff like this?”

Josh sighed on the other end, “I know what you mean. But I guess it comes with who we are and what we are. This is all going to work out Jezebel. Trust me, as long as we stick to the plan everything is going to be ok.”

Suddenly saddened I replied, “I hope so, I really do. I’ll see you when school finishes ok?”

“How about I pick you up?” Josh asked spur of the moment.

“I’d like that,” I answered truthfully.

We said out goodbyes and then once more I was left with the silence of the empty classroom. Josh seemed so confident, but maybe it was just his way of dealing with his anger over the Ryder incident. He seemed certain his plan would work. But all I could foresee was this plan going very, very wrong. Josh’s plan was all I had to go on; I couldn’t see any other way of dealing with our issue. There was also one more thing that niggled in my mind. Josh’s plan was only a means to a solution. A solution I was yet to come up with.

Finally gathering the courage to get up off the floor and leave my classroom sanctuary I shot a look up and down the hallway before stepping out. Walking around aimlessly through the halls I unexpectedly wished that I had taken drama as a subject because I had a suspicion that I was going to need all the acting practice I could get.