Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Jezebel’s POV

I don’t really know how Ryder knew, but one minute he’s in the middle of a raging rant and the next he’s opening the front door. At first I didn’t have a clue what was going on, since he darted off to the door mid-sentence. Then I hear a commotion and see two bodies fall through the doorway. The threats that Ryder had been throwing around, to try and get me to bring his parents back, died the minute I recognised the two people who fell through the door.

Josh and Chase.

I didn’t know whether to cry in relief or yell in frustration. They were here to save me, but there was no saving me from Ryder. No saving me from someone hell bent on revenge. There was also no way on earth we were all going to walk out of this alive.

When the two of them came toppling through the door they both hit the ground pretty hard. It was hard to see from my spot on the floor with Ryder standing in my line of vision, but I was pretty sure I saw Chase hit his on the wall. I assumed he was unconscious when he didn’t move or get up from the spot where he landed on the floor. I snapped my gaze back to Josh just in time to see Ryder kick him in the stomach.

Josh’s name rips out of my throat as an ear splitting scream as I struggle against the ropes that hold me tightly in place. Pain sears wherever the ropes rub against bare skin, but it doesn’t compare at all the pain in my heart. The pain of seeing the one who is the light to your darkness getting mercilessly beaten up by the person desperate for revenge. The pain of knowing you have absolutely no control over what was happening to the only person in your life that mattered. The pain and fear of knowing that one person held the power to destroy you.

Josh didn’t get up so Ryder took advantage of his weakness and kicked out again. This time Ryder got Josh on the chin, causing Josh to smack his head back against the floor. I could only imagine how hard Josh’s head would be throbbing from that kick, but he still made an effort at punching Ryder. It didn’t make much of a difference though. Ryder smiled gleefully as he bent over to cup Josh’s head in his hands. At first it looked like he was comforting Josh. But then Ryder’s face twisted into an evil smirk before he lifted Josh’s head up about a foot in the air and slammed it back down onto the floor.

Until that moment I hadn’t realised that I’d been screaming out Josh’s name continuously. I shut my mouth numbly as I watched whatever fight was left in Josh drain out as consciousness deserted him. I was also only now feeling the sting of my raw skin underneath the ropes, caused from ferocious struggling. Struggling that was useless in setting me free and useless in helping Josh. It felt like my chest was closing in on itself. Constricting to the point where I couldn’t breathe.  

I couldn’t tear my eyes away from Josh’s still body. My hands shook despite them being curled into fists and against all the will in my body tears leaked out of the corners of my eyes. I was so absorbed in my inner turmoil from the realisation that now Ryder held every advantage possible, caused me not to notice Ryder’s approach. I only noticed him when he crouched down next to me and stretched out a hand. Lightly he brushed away my tears. The compassion I saw in his face startled me. How could someone go from knocking someone out with no hesitation to this?

“Get away from me,” I whispered in a strained voice and move my head as far as I can to get away from his hand.

Ryder’s gaze shifted and stayed locked with mine, “Now, is that anyway to speak to the person who can spare Josh and Chase’s lives or take them? Jezebel, I have everything you hold dear in my grasp. Do one thing I don’t like and all it takes is a little squeeze of my hand and those things are gone forever.”

He pauses for impact. He watches my face closely while what he says sinks in. I look away from him and towards where Chase is lying on the floor and then over to where Josh is. I close my eyes briefly and memories flashed behind my eyelids. Kyle’s stunned face as I killed him. The love in Josh’s face as I said I do on our wedding day. Ryder sneering down at Josh. Chase lying unmoving on the floor. I took a deep shuddering breath before opening my eyes and turning back to face Ryder.

He smiled menacingly at me, “How about we try this again, shall we?”

He firmly gripped my chin to make sure I didn’t break gaze or look away, “Bring my parents back.”

All of sudden I was taken by a surprising emotion. Pity.  I pitied Ryder. All he wanted was what Josh and I both had. Parents. I hated myself for doing this to him, but there was no way I could bring back Kyle.

In the coldest voice I could muster I replied, “No.”

Ryder looked amused before countering, “No? Really? Are you sure? I’ll give you one chance to rethink your answer. Bring my parents back or I’ll kill Chase and Josh.”

I knew it was coming, but I still wasn’t prepared for the ultimatum. How can I say no when I really have no choice? I stay silent for a long time trying desperately to think of a way out of this. I look everywhere but in Ryder’s eyes which are all but drilling holes into my head. After not being able to come up with one single way around this situation I turned back to stare at Ryder. In return he raised his eyebrows expectantly.

My lip quivered as I finally answered his question, “Ryder I can’t.”

His reaction was lightning fast. He stood and was out of the circle in a flash. Seemingly out of nowhere he pulled out a white wooden stake with what looked like runes carved into the hand grip. He tossed into the air and nimbly caught in his hand. Winking at me he strode confidently over to where Josh was sprawled on the floor asleep. Asleep and oblivious to the danger that was now hovering over him. Ryder kneeled down beside Josh and held the stake up, poised ready to kill at a breaths notice.

Breathlessly I yelled, “Wait! No, stop! Ryder I said I can’t, not I won’t! You’ve blocked my magic. I can’t do anything with the circle still up! I’ll do whatever you want just don’t hurt Josh. Please, Ryder don’t do it.”

Ryder smiled like he was expecting this response and was pleased by it. He stood swiftly and stuck the stake in the waistband of his jeans. He took one step towards me before something Ryder sure didn’t look like he’d anticipated happened.

I, for one, sure as hell didn’t see it coming either.