Thought it was Peaceful, Did You?

When I next opened my eyes, it was to a familiar pair of bemused blue eyes. The numbskull they belonged to wore a lazy grin, which widened as he saw me waking up.

"Morning, love," Adrian greeted with a yawn, kissing the top of my head. His arms were firmly wrapped around my naked waist, hugging me to even closer to his cold frame.

I blinked and offered a tired smile in return. "Morning, silly. How're you?" I felt like a cat that'd got the cream–and wholly satisfied with myself. My limbs were still heavy from sleep, but I didn't let that discourage me from snuggling up to him.

Waking up to him after the night we'd shared wasn't as mortifying as I'd imagined it would be. Instead of being embarrassed, I was simply content to lie there, dozing lightly.

"Mmm," he took a deep breath through his nose, nuzzling my hair. "Happy to be in bed with you. You're adorable right when you're just waking up."

That coming from the one who slept once a week. "You're not so bad to wake up to yourself." I'd had nothing but pleasant dreams, and if not for the fact that he was cold as ice, I'd swear I was still dreaming.

Well, that and my body was starting to shift into its' usual morning routine mode. As much as I would have preferred to stay in bed, it was time to get up before nature called.

I kissed his cheek, nudging the arms clasped together at my back. "I need to get up, you know," I told him, mildly entertained by his morning antics.

He shook his head, letting out another exaggerated yawn. "But I'm already nice and comfy with you here. It'd be a waste to get up now."

It was a bit late for that now. "And you can be comfy again after I've brushed my teeth and stuff." Besides, it wasn't like I couldn't come back to bed later.

He pretended to consider it, tilting his head back and forth. "I suppose I'll allow it," he mumbled, shifting his arms so I could move freely.

"So needy," I giggled and slid out of bed, only for him to pull me right back to his chest. Good thing too, because I nearly toppled over from the soreness in a certain set of newly-used muscles.

Adrian nuzzled the sensitive sweet spot between my neck and shoulder. "Hmm, very much so." His fangs grazed my neck, causing delighted shivers to run down my spine. "Hurry back, love."

I'd never finished brushing my teeth faster in my life.

When I came back to bed, Adrian was sitting on the edge of the mattress. His eyes followed me as I walked across the room, a goofy smile touching his lips. "What's that look for?" I teased, taking a seat next to him.

"Just thinking about you," he replied, pulling me onto his lap. "And about how lucky I am to be able to wake up to you in the morning."

Flatterer. "Uh huh, sure you are." I didn't doubt it, but he was so much fun to tease.

The mock indignation on his face was worth it. "You wound me madam! I only ever speak the truth, you know."

"That's definitely a lie."

He chuckled at that. "True enough, I suppose." His fingers danced across my abdomen, tracing circular patterns into the flesh. "But rarely do I ever lie to you."

I had a sneaking suspicion he'd excluded lying by omission in that estimate. "And how often is rarely again?" If he'd forgotten how to count, I was all to happy to remind him.

"Somewhere between never and not very," Adrian shot back dryly, nipping at my earlobe. "I try to avoid keeping secrets from you, you know. It's proven hazardous to my health."