Chapter Twenty-Six: Thought it was a Grand Tour, Did You?

I wasn't quite sure how I'd wound up sitting on a boat across from a certain frumpy, glowering male elf stuck in a sparkling wavy blue, and deeply revealing, dress. Nor could I remember how I'd let Adrian talk me into boarding said boat in the first place. It must've involved a bribe of some sort, because there was usually no way in hell that I'd willingly go on a boat ride. Not after that disaster of a field trip back in high school.

Speaking of Adrian, he was sitting next to me. One of his arms was glued around my waist, much like the grin that seemed to be permanently stuck to his face. I'd wipe it off him someday, but not today it seemed. Cheerful jerkface.

"I'm never playing poker again," Camden groaned, hiding his face in his hands. "How in the world are you so good at that stupid game anyway? Nobody in the universe should be that lucky."

Oh yeah, now I was starting to remember. Adrian had suggested taking me on a tour around the city, his city, the capital. After five minutes of wandering outside, I'd started to get why he'd been avoiding it. There was just so much staring! Couldn't walk two feet without a pair of eyes following us. Not that there wasn't a good reason for it though.
"I'm more concerned that you let me dictate the terms of the bet, Cam. Why'd you agree to wearing the damn thing if you lost?" I asked, trying my best not to laugh. I was failing pretty hard–I couldn't stop sniggering.

"Because you wouldn't have agreed to wear it otherwise!" The elf complained, incensed and throwing his hands up in frustration. "You would've looked gorgeous in it, too."

Adrian shook his head, flicking back his hair when it fell into his eyes. "Camden, you knew it was a terrible idea; she challenged my father to strip poker, for gods' sake."

In my defense, I'd had a concussion and hadn't exactly been thinking clearly at the time. "You only say that 'cause you won." I grumbled, crossing my arms and staring out at the vibrant lake that surrounded us.

Damn cheater–he'd been peeking in on my thoughts the entire time. A good poker face hardly mattered when I couldn't fool him for shit. He knew me too well. Too bad Ignotius hadn't wanted to play–I was fairly certain the ancient stick in the mud was the only one who would've beaten him. That stoic face gave nothing away.

"Good thing too, because you wouldn't have agreed to wear any dress otherwise. Though I have to say, I agree with Camden–you would've looked amazing in the blue one."

Beating Camden meant I didn't have to wear the revealing, sparkly blue blasphemy, but Adrian winning meant he got to pick out a different dress. I wound up wearing a comfortable earthy brown long sleeve contraption that went down to my ankles. Complete with matching gladiator-style sandals. I actually kind of liked the outfit, but I'd never admit it to either of them out loud. No reason to give them something to gloat over.

Besides, I wasn't exactly happy about being on a boat. Though at least the weather was cooperating; nice and sunny, as opposed to tit-freezing. "You only like it because would've shown off my br–"

"You think you're the only one with a staring problem?" Adrian teased, cutting me off. "I would've loved to spend today admiring you in blue. Though I suppose the water will look just as good on you, won't it?"

What the hell was he on about now?

He shot Cam a mischievous smirk, and the elf nodded, smirking back.

I had a bad feeling about that look. His smirks never boded well for me, and the elf being in on it? Oh that just made everything worse.

The arm around my waist hefted me over his shoulder as he stood, moving towards the edge of the boat. "Adrian, don't you dare!" I howled, pounding my fists against his back.