Thought It Was a Kidnapping, Did You?

• Dedicated to My Poofy Pumpkin Princess

Not even two hours later, I was sitting in front of my uncle’s desk in his impromptu study, with both him and Ashira looking at me strangely; like I’d grown a second head or something.

I knew exactly why, of course.

After Adrian’s declaration of my brilliance, he immediately proceeded to sink his fangs into me. It felt different from the time he’d bitten me the other day; no rush of pleasure as he took the excess blood from my veins. The bite was more a pleasant feeling, like the kind you get after soaking in a hot bath, or getting off a roller coaster.

The distraction gave him enough time to run from the room to my uncle and explain to him what he wanted to do without my adamant protests getting in his way. He spent the afternoon persuading my uncle to let him get away with kidnapping me.

In fact, the only reason I knew anything about that at all was because my aunt Ashira had walked in on the conversation, and decided that I needed to be let in on what they were planning.

I’d stormed into the study, planted myself down in an empty chair, and glared at the two men who were conversing about my future travel plans. “I’m not going anywhere with him!” I screeched, pointing directly at Adrian. I was perfectly content to remain at my aunt’s, and leaving didn’t appeal to me.

“Why not?” My uncle asked, a smile settling on his face. “No matter how much you deny it, we both know you still have feelings for Adrian. Going back with him isn’t that big of a deal,” he said, leaning forward and clasping his hands together, watching the situation unfold with interest.

Isn’t that big of a deal? Are you crazy?! “I’m still getting used to the idea that he’s not dead!” I objected furiously, liking where this was going less, and less.

“All the more reason for you to go with him then.” Eric countered with a smirk.

Adrian looked both amused and disappointed, sitting in a chair to the side of the desk. “If I’m not here with you, I can’t keep your blood problem under control Kathryne. Ignotius will end up sticking you with needles again.” He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in exasperation.

I grimaced. “I’m not leaving with you, Adrian.” I replied bitterly, staring down at the floor. I’m not going to let myself be abandoned again.

Eric snorted. “You’re the one who wanted to be involved in supernatural affairs again. What better way than to go with him? You’ll learn more from him about the ways of that world than I’ll ever be able to teach you.” He stated pointedly, shooting me an annoyed glance.

Which was precisely why I didn’t want to go! “You know what? Never mind. I don’t want to be involved in this stupid supernatural bullshit anymore.” What was the point? I had to pull teeth to get anyone to tell me anything, and even then I wasn’t told the whole story. It wasn’t worth the effort.

“It’s too late to back out now, sweetheart,” Adrian remarked casually, sliding from the chair and walking over to stand next to me. He stared down at me with a mildly annoyed look in his eyes, “you’ve got powers you need to train, whether you like it or not. They aren’t going to go away anytime soon.”

My uncle chuckled. “He has a point, Kathryne. I have neither the time, nor the patience to train you properly. Lover boy here, is more than willing to deal with handling an awakening sorceress like yourself. He also has the resources to keep you any damage you cause to a minimum.” He added, shuffling around a few papers on his desk in an attempt to look busy.

I stared at the both of them incredulously. “You can’t be serious!” I argued, shoving the chair I was sitting in away from me in my haste to stand up.