58| Answers: Exposed

9 years ago

Niqo huffed heavily as he huddled over himself, sucking in large gulps of air as he struggled to catch his breath. Hakeem jogged over to where he was, patting him on the back.

     “You okay, little man?” He questioned, crouching to get a glimpse of his face. Niqo tore off his helmet, the coolness of the air around his head vaporizing from his body heat. Coach was giving them a brutal workout today to prepare for their next game, however, Niqo hadn't eaten much of nothing, so it was killing him.

     Niqo shook his head, the world beginning to spin around him. “I-I need to s-sit down.” Hakeem frowned, then stood up straight and waved a hand signal to the coach. Their coach jogged over, assessing the situation.

     “What's wrong, Nique?” Coach questioned, taking off his cap and scratching his head.

     “He's dizzy. Can he sit this one out?” Hakeem spoke for him. Coach glanced at Niqo, then at Hakeem.

     “Yeah, take him to the nurse if you have to.”

     Hakeem nodded and led Niqo to the bleachers. He handed Niqo a bottle of water and a towel, then took a seat next to him. “What's going on?” He asked, whispering softly. Niqo chugged the bottle down, and before he sucked out the bottom, he took his lips off the bottle and let the water splash onto his face. Afterwards, he dabbed himself with the towel and threw it over his shoulder.

     “Remember what I told you after my birthday? Two years ago?” Niqo glanced at Hakeem. Hakeem's​ face scrunched up.

     “Two years? That's hella long ago.”

Niqo rolled his eyes. “The balance sheet I found; I think she knows that I know.”

     “Why you say that?”

     “Because,” Niqo toyed with the empty plastic bottle. “She knows I go in her room every night to kiss her on the forehead, so why would she just leave that out in the open if she didn't want me to see it?”

     “Maybe she forgot?”

     “No way.”

     “What could she be hiding?”

     Niqo’s head popped up when coach blew his whistle. The team started running their play, dashing off in their designated direction.

     “Man, I don't know. She's been acting really suspicious. Money's been real tight, and whenever she's about to leave me home alone, she tells me not to answer the door for anyone.”

     “Weird…”

     “Yeah, hella… I think I has somethin’ to do with dad. I haven't heard from him in a while either.”

     “Think they got in an argument?”

     “No clue.”

The two watched their team practice for a minute before Niqo spoke up again. “Hey Rascal.”

Hakeem glanced at Niqo, twitching his brows.

     “Tell coach I'm heading home early…” Niqo stood holding his football helmet in one hand and grabbing the towel with his other one. He handed the towel to Hakeem, who slipped a five dollar bill into his hand during the exchange. Niqo stared blankly at the five.

     “Grab somethin’ to eat on yo way home, lil’ man. You sure you don't need a ride?”

     “I'll be a’ight.”