31| Baby Blues

"Can you stop throwin' shit in my basket, please?" Pierce asked in a sugary voice that contrasted the frown etched on his face. Chenelle raised her middle finger to him and tossed a party sized bag of Lays potato chips into the half full shopping cart.

    When she turned around and skipped further up the aisle, Pierce reached into the basket, grabbed the chip bag, and placed it back on the shelf with a different brand of chips. Subsequently, she grabbed a pack of pop tarts and threw it in the basket. Pierce sucked his teeth. "Are you on your period or somethin'?"

Chenelle spun around and placed her hands on her hips, pouting. "What makes you say that?"

     "I mean, Trinity did this shit all the time when she was on hers, and she ain't even eat the shit," Her name felt like a sour, lingering taste on his tongue.

Chenelle rolled her eyes. "Maybe I am, maybe I ain't; either way, you're buying this stuff for me."

     "Funny," he chuckled while shaking his head. "I don't know what made you think that'll happen."

     "Well, you can buy this without a problem or I'll open everything I touch and make you pay for it anyway," She smiled mischievously and rubbed her hands together like a cartoon villain. Pierce sucked his teeth again.

     "Alright, get whatever you want", He sighed reluctantly. "Get some stuff for Jay, too."

Chenelle cheered and skipped up the aisle again. A woman who happened to be passing by watched Chenelle as she went and looked back at Pierce, smiling.

     "That's your girlfriend?" She asked, pointing at Chenelle with her thumb. Pierce felt his face get hot and he shook his head quickly. The lady giggled as she began pushing her cart, saying, "Let's see how long that lasts."

Pierce watched the lady disappear around the corner, her giggles disappearing under the sounds of a crinkling bag. Pierce faced forward to see Chenelle staring right into his eyes, stuffing cheese doodles in her mouth.

     "What the fuck, Chenelle!" Pierce cursed loudly, snatching the bag out her hand. "Stop actin' like a got damn kid!"

     "But I'm hungry!" She whined and stomped her foot.

Yep, she's on her period, Pierce thought. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed, then hid the opened bag on the shelf behind some other bags.

     "Fine," he said, dusting his hands on his sweats, "I'll take you to Freckle Bitches or somethin', okay? Just calm down."

     Chenelle nodded cheerfully, hugged his neck, and did the unexpected: she kissed him. It was a cheek kiss, but a kiss nonetheless. Her soft lips left a tingling sensation that spread all over his face. She didn't seem to notice his shock. It almost seemed normal to her.

     Brushing his bashful feelings aside, he followed after her to the checkout, and a few minutes later, they were heading to his house after stopping at Freckle Bitches. On the way there, one of Chenelle's favorite songs came on and she immediately started singing and dancing in her seat. Pierce laughed and sung the song with her. Ironically, the song was titled Me & U by Cassie, an all time favorite of his and apparently Chenelle's as well.

     She teased him about his singing occasionally, and he glanced at her sideways and stuck his tongue at her, mimicking her dance moves. When they finally reached his house, Pierce noticed the front door was already open and all playful jitters exited his body.

     "Jay?" Pierce called through the flimsy screen door, only hearing muffled voices coming from the back. Dropping the bags by the kitchen, he cautiously headed towards Jayden's room, Chenelle watching his back curiously from behind. As he grew closer, he could hear faint moans coming from behind the door. His eyes widened with shock, he shoved the door open to find Jayden hovered on top of some girl he's never seen before. The girl screamed and struggled to cover herself with the sheets they were tangled up in whereas Jayden was frozen, his eyes locked with the beast standing before him.