55| Answers

The very next day, news about Ultor being exposed could be heard all over town, either from a radio, TV, paperboy or word of mouth. Chenelle, however, grew tired of the constant "new discoveries" they've uncovered in the wreckage of The Pyramid. She flicked her TV off, tossing the remote on the couch besides her and letting out a loud groan.

"That groan can turn into a moan real quick," Raul commented as he came out of the kitchen, wine cooler in hand. Chenelle rolled her eyes, a playful smirk on her face as she shifted around on the couch to look at him.

"I don't think Pierce would appreciate that comment," Chenelle replied, taking in his attire. He was dressed in a Barcelona soccer uniform, ball tucked under his armpit. She nodded towards him, "That where you from?"

Raul looked down at his shirt, reading the words before he looked up at her again. "Could be," he shrugged. Chenelle rolled her eyes again and turned back around on the couch, grabbing her phone. Raul came around the back of the couch and sat next to her.

"I'm kidding. Yo soy de Barcelona," he spoke, twirling the ball between his fingers. Chenelle uttered a non-committal grunt, giving him the side eye. Raul chuckled, shaking his head at her. "I'm going out to meet up with some of my boys. Will you be alright by yourself, mija?"

She shoved her hand between the couch cushions, pulling out a pistol. "I think I'll be a'ight. Besides, boss is coming over later to take me out."

"Oh," Raul cooed. "Does Pierce know about this number?"

"Pierce is out of town right now to visit his grandparents," she shot back. "It ain't nothin' special, we only goin' to The Flapping Jack."

"Fancy."

"It's really not."

"Alright," Raul sighed, getting up. "I'm heading out then. If Shaundi pops in before you leave, tell her to swing me a text next time she decided to borrow my shit."

"What she use?" Chenelle called out to him.

"She keeps giving her boyfriend my fucking clothes," he complained. Chenelle heard the door slam upon his leaving.

"Well damn..." she muttered to herself. Her and Pierce had been texting all morning before the boss sent her a message informing her that he was taking her out for breakfast. It was sudden and completely unexpected. She didn't know if Johnny was going to be tagging along, or if it would just be the two of them, not that she wanted it to.

Ever since their run in at the festival, the boss had seemed to be more lenient with her taking on the tough jobs, though she could see the reluctance in his eyes. He never explained his connection to her father, and she didn't bother to peck at her dad about in case he goes after the boss again.

Speaking of her father, she hasn't had any visits from him lately...

Before she was able to dial his number to swing him a call, the boss's contact name popped up on the screen as his call came in. Chenelle accepted the call, bringing the phone to her ear.

"...Where you going?" His voice sounded faint, as if he wasn't speaking to her. He must've ran into Raul while he was pulling out. The boss let out a laugh at a comment Raul made before his voice projected clearly and loudly through her receiver. "A'ight, I'm outside."

Chenelle fished her apartment key from the fake fruit bowl in the foyer before she headed out. The sun welcomed her to the outside world with warm, soothing rays. The boss stood there with his back leaning on his brand new deep purple Corvette, a wide smirk on his face. Chenelle's brow rose as she headed down the short flight of stairs, giving him a look over.