Chapter 33 ~ Familiar Faces

Special thanks for all the love on the last chapter! Comments make my day! Much ❤️ enjoy!

Chapter 33

I found Boe in front of the shop, leaned against an old, rusted Chevrolet pick up. While the truck looked ready to collapse, Boe did his best to make up for it.

Dark washed jeans hugged him in sin, and a solid black button down had the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and just the right amount of buttons left open. He'd gotten a haircut, buzzed it all until the hair on his head held the same clean lines as that across his jaw. He looked good. Too damn good.

I looked down at my own outfit. "Should I go change?" I bluffed, knowing damn well I had nothing better to put on.

His lips curved into the same grin he always wore. "You look good enough to eat."

I ignored him. "You cut off your hair."

"I did." He ran his palm over the top. "You like it?"

"You look different."

"I feel different." He studied me with an expression I'd yet to see on him. Soft, almost reverent. He stepped over to the passenger side and pulled the door open. "Let's Get you fed."

I climbed in and watched as he circled around. A heavy silence settled between us when he got in, and lingered as he pulled out of the driveway.

It wasn't until we'd made it out onto the main road that he spoke again. "Jessie... I have a confession to make."

I stared at his profile and waited for him to continue, but he didn't. My heart rate doubled. Both of his hands stayed glued to the steering wheel; his eyes locked on the road. There was no expression at all on his face.

"What is it?"

Boe turned to me and grinned. "This is most definitely a date."

A breath of air flew from my lungs, and I laughed. "Don't be so damn serious when you do that. It freaked me out."

His grin widened as he turned his face back towards the front.

I returned to studying his profile. "It's not a date."

"Yes it is." He flipped on his blinker and made a left. "You don't know it yet, but I'm gonna marry you one day."

I snorted. "No you're not."

"Don't worry. There's no rush. I'll give you plenty of time to realize how perfect we are for each other."

I laughed and focused my attention on the passing scenery. The sun had finally set, painting the world in darkness. I pressed my forehead to the cool glass and looked at the stars. Maybe this was a bad idea. I liked Boe. Genuinely liked him. He wasn't perfect, and he didn't pretend to be. The more I got to know him, the more I realized how sweet his center was. He had good bones. He'd been shaped as a child, taught and molded. His fucked up was superficial, it never really affected who he was.

But that wasn't me. I'd been crafted by hardship, never taught, never guided. I'd shifted around like a stray, and it'd left me wild and feral. Even now, my life was a mess, and he seemed to be looking at me in a long term type of way.

Bard was dangerous because I wanted him too much. The attraction I felt for him was almost physical. Like fucking gravity.

Boe was safe in that aspect. While I liked him, it wasn't anything too dramatic. He was sexy, that fact couldn't be denied. Could I really be that person? Lead him on and waste his time?

I turned away from the view and looked at him. No. I couldn't. He was too good for that. "This isn't a date, Boe. It can't be. We're friends and that's it."