Chapter 1 ~ Burn

Jessie above^^ This story is my baby, so if you enjoy it, show her some love 🤗🤗❤️❤️

Chapter 1

There was a cop inside the gas station, and I was pumping petrol into a van full of cocaine.

My chest constricted. My heart pounded inside my ears. Each breath felt artificial and left my lungs empty.

Drake's gonna kill me. If I go to jail, he'll have people waiting for me. No. Stop it. You don't get to panic right now.

I sucked in a breath and blew it out slow.

Just pretend...

I'm not already on probation. I'm not committing a felony. I'm not staring at this fucking pump like I want to kick it for being slow.

Being a woman didn't help if the asshole couldn't see me, but I was too damn rattled to step into view. My limbs were heavy. My joints seemed locked.

I peeked through the back windows of the van and found him standing at the counter, chatting up the cashier. He had a coffee in one hand, the other on his belt, his chest puffed out, and his chin tilted up. That wasn't good. The backwoods cops who stood like that always wanted to investigate. They weren't the lazy fucks that sat in their cars and waited for a call.

If I take off and leave before pumping it all, will it draw attention?

I weighed my options, doing my best to predict every possible outcome. If I did, he probably wouldn't notice. But given it was me, Karma would most likely make it the one damn time it was noticeable. If I stood still and out of view, perhaps he'd just go about his way. Didn't that always work? Hidden in plain sight.

He turned away with a wave to the clerk, and I jerked my gaze back to the pump.

Five slow ass fucking dollars away from the thirty I'd paid for. If the piece of shit van didn't drink so much gas, I'd be on the highway right now. I'd be blending in with the hundreds of other cars, vans, and trucks.

I peeked back over, and he was by his car.

Karma hated me. She hated me with an absolute passion, because that asshole took one look at the rusted, white–I've got a puppy–van, and I could tell.

He's gonna run the plates.

Sure enough, he sat down in his cruiser but didn't close the door. His gaze shot over towards me, then back to his computer, then back to my tag again.

Fuck. I can't catch a break.

Don't fuck this up, Jessie. That's what Drake said just before I left with this godforsaken load. Don't fuck this up.

There was a lot of money tied up in those crates. Money for the club. For the family. My back burned just thinking about the beating I'd get if I got busted and lost it all. Not to mention, my ass was going to lock up for a considerably long, damn time .

A car door slammed shut, and I looked back over. He had his hands on his belt. An important swagger to his step.

Shit.

Survival instincts kicked in. Adrenaline rushed forward to push back the panic attack so ready to turn me into a suffocating mess.

Show time, Jessie.

I forced a smile as he caught sight of me. The smile. Dimples. Mouth slightly open. Swimsuit catalogue, I'm a Barbie girl, let's sing a fucking pop song. "Hello, Officer."