Hot Sauce is the New Tomato Juice

Start from the beginning

Their reaction was completely opposite from what I've imagine just now. Both of them look amazed, "That was so amazing! Did you know that if ever I didn't make it to the music industry and Clara's career didn't go off really well, we're both planning to build a coffee shop and live in a farm full of chickens and goats. That was like our dream job, right honey?"

"It is! Actually, we're both planning to do that when Mike finally decides to retire from his singing career." - Clara

I smiled while looking at them. They're not judgmental like every rich people are and most importantly, not a jerk like their daughter. I felt Clara's hand against mine with a tight lipped smile written on her lips, "When are we going to meet your parents?"

I almost got choked at her question. My parents still don't know anything about this and I'm sure they will kill me if they ever find out, "Uhmm, I'll try to bring them here in a few months or so."

"I'm really curious, how did you and my daughter meet? Tell us your fairy tale like love story." - Mike

I chuckled awkwardly, Fairy tale like love story my butt-"We're classmates in one of my class. I remember back then, Lauren was busy recording with her phone for fun until the camera lens of her phone landed on me and I can still remember the exact words she told me that day, "Hey, Ms. Beautiful! Smile." And I smiled until my eyes squint and that was like the very first time we interact. So now every class that we're together, Lauren always hand over a piece of paper to me, asking me to go on a date with her with a two big boxes below of Yes or Yes." I chuckled at my own imaginary story cause god knows that's the opposite of how we actually met, "That's it. That's how it all started. Then after a couple of years of dating, Lauren proposed and I said yes." Her parents looked so happy with the lies I've made up. Honestly, I'm starting to feel guilty about it.

"How's Lauren doing in school? I mean, in general?" Clara asked. The smile on her face vanished and only a hint of worriedness can be seen in her face.

Well Mrs. Jauregui, your daughter is a complete asshole who always make people cry. She always ditch her class, doing drugs, going drunk to school, and love to start a fight. That's her daily routine here in Carolton. In short, she's a huge troublemaker and a headache to every student-I really wanted to say all of that to her Mom but I ended up lying to her parents once again, "Lauren's a very friendly type of person. Very, very friendly. In fact, everyone in Carolton loves her. She's always there to help people around her and it makes me proud as her wife. She's so generous and very down to earth kind of person. Also, she's always present in our class and very determined to achieve her dream which makes me super happy."

And the hint of worriedness written on Clara's face suddenly vanished and replaced with a wide smile, "You don't know how happy I am to know that my daughter is finally being her old self again."

Being her old self again? Is Clara basically saying that Lauren was a good person? Like, a humble one?

I furrowed my eyebrows while looking at Clara, "I'm so sorry but...what do you mean?"

"Lauren is a good girl. She's always there to help people, she's always the top of the class. I thought I'm doing a great job as a Mother but I guess I'm wrong. Lauren suddenly became distant to people, having drinking and drug issues. She became the person I never imagine she would turn to be. And as her Mom, it deeply hurts me to see my daughter like that." At that moment, I saw the pain in her mother's eyes but that pain suddenly goes off as soon as she held my hand, "But you changed her so thank you so much, Camila. Thank you for bringing back our daughter."

I nodded while smiling. Now I extremely feel guilty about this whole thing. I mean, I'm not just lying about our relationship to her parents but I'm also giving them a false hope that Lauren really changed best where in fact, she doesn't. Our conversation suddenly cut off when Lauren came back to our table.