Happy Mother's Day

Chapter 56
'Happy Mother's Day'

"You're starting a volleyball club?" Iwaizumi asked as he stared down at the school yard from the rooftop of Kitagawa Daichi.

Tsukiko, who was sitting beside him, nodded. "I want to play volleyball. And I can't do that unless we have a girl's volleyball team."

Iwaizumi turned around and smiled at her. "That's good. You have more experience than your brother right?"

Tsukiko nodded again, smiling at Iwaizumi's cute smile that he only usually showed when he was with Oikawa. He must be genuinely happy for her.

"Yup. I learnt it when I five. A boy your age taught it to me," she answered remembering 'Ushiwaka-chan' briefly.

"Really? Who is it?"

She smiled and said happily, "Ushiwaka-chan."

"Wh-What?"

"Well, that's my nickname for him. His full name is Ushijima Wakatoshi."

Iwaizumi choked on his juice, but the dense girl just continued talking, unaware of her senpai's reaction.

"I haven't seen him since I was five actually," Tsukiko continued, staring at the sky whilst trying to remember his face. "I can't remember what he looks like either. But every time I see the volleyball in my room, I just suddenly remember his face and have a very strong urge to throw the ball at him."

Iwaizumi wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, still shocked at what he heard. "Ushijima taught you volleyball?" Iwaizumi asked in disbelief, looking at the first year who was leaning her forehead on the railings.

Tsukiko nodded, looking at Oikawa who was being flocked by girls in the courtyard. Even from the rooftop, she could see his -forced- smile and how he was actually annoyed. It's only been two months but she's noticed a lot of things about Oikawa.

"Yup. He should be in junior high now too."

Iwaizumi scoffed. "Yeah. He's in Shiratorizawa Academy."

Tsukiko whipped her head up to look at him, her dark blue eyes wide. "You know him? Ushiwaka-chan?"

Iwaizumi nodded sourly, remembering their losses. "I guess you can say that."

Oikawa looked at Tsukiko who had her eyes on his best friend. Getting a little frustrated, he brushed the girls aside and cupped his hands over his mouth.

"IWA-CHAN!!" He shouted loudly, getting the attention of the two. He waved at them and grinned, trying to hide his annoyance.

Tsukiko looked at Iwaizumi and saw a fossil of a smile on his lips before he proceeded to shout back at Oikawa.

I didn't stand a chance, Tsukiko thought, looking at Oikawa who smiled brightly at Iwaizumi who in return pretended to look pissed.

That, was one of the things she noticed. She was glad that she didn't like Iwaizumi. Oikawa would have been a very formidable opponent.

"Ne, Tooru-san, can I possibly join you guys in practice?" Tsukiko asked with an emotionless expression. Realizing that she spoke quite rudely, her cheeks heated up and she stuttered. "I-I-I-I mean, until I can get a teacher to approve my appeal to get a girl's volleyball club here."

Oikawa grinned. "Of course, Tsukiko-chan! You can train with the other first years," Oikawa said, pointing to a group of first years who were at the other side of the court, practicing receives with some of the third years.