What A Weird Shirt

Chapter 47.5
'What A Weird Shirt'

"Tsukiko, why is your hair uneven?" Haiba asked, the first time seeing Tsukiko with her hair down.

Tsukiko touched tip the strands and smiled sadly. "I cut my hair when I was younger," she replied with a solemn expression.

"Huh? But I thought you loved your hair! You won't even let me touch it!" And as if to prove his point, he reached out to touch a strand but due to Tsukiko's quick reflexes, she smacked his hand away.

"I love my hair." Probably even more than myself. "But I had to cut it because of something important. I loved this something more than my hair."

↭ 5 Years Old ↭↭↭

"Tobio!! Let's go down to the playground and play!"

A short haired five year old girl with a milk moustache ran out the door in excitement, waiting for her smaller twin brother to come out. Her hair as short as her brother's and she was wearing his clothes as well so that she could move around freely. If you didn't know any better, you could have mistaken her for a boy.

Instead of her twin brother, a woman with black hair and sharp green eyes came out with a scowl on her face.

"Tsukiko! You know that Tobio doesn't have a strong body like you! You should stop making him play with you!" Kageyama Amaya scolded, making the black haired girl flinch. "And you're a girl! What happened to the dress I bought you? You should spend your time studying instead!"

Kageyama Tsukiko bit her lip, trying hard to keep her tears in. But to her, this was normal. Her mother never approved of her wearing shorts and always made her wear ugly frilly dresses. And she didn't like it when Tsukiko brought Tobio out. As a child, Tobio had a weak body yet Tsukiko was abnormally healthy. Because of this, her mother was strongly convinced that Tsukiko took most of Tobio's nutrients when they were in the womb causing it her fault that her brother was weak - quite a lame excuse.

"Amaya, you shouldn't scold her too much," came a voice behind her disapproving mother. A brown haired man with dark blue eyes identical to Tsukiko's came out and put a hand on her mother's shoulder. "It's fine to let her play outside once in a while."

Her mother scoffed and crossed her arms stubbornly. "Hmph. But if you come back with dirty clothes, I'm not letting you in the house. See if I care that you freeze out here," she snapped before pushing past Tsukiko's father to go back in the house.

Tsukiko sniffed and rubbed her eyes before she wiped the mucus coming out from her nose as well as the milk moustache. Unlike her mother, her father was more lenient and showed his care for her.

Her father smiled and patted Tsukiko's head. "Don't worry about too much, Kiddo. She's just on that time of the month again."

Tsukiko looked at him confusedly. She didn't know what it meant but her father would always use that phrase whenever her mother was scolding her.

That time of the month is everyday? Tsukiko thought but did not say.

"And, just remember, she loves you. No matter how much she scolds you."

Tsukiko didn't believe him. From the start, her mother never liked her. Her mother never wanted a daughter. And after finding out that Tsukiko came out before Tobio, she refused to hold Tsukiko or even acknowledge her presence. Her mother never once gave her any love.

Tsukiko stayed silent and waited for her father to go back in the house before she trudged to the park with a frown on her face.

When she got to the park, she saw that it was empty. Well, it didn't make any difference. She didn't have any friends to play with anyways.