Promise Me

Chapter 29
'Promise Me'

Tsukiko bit her lip and re-read the message she sent to 'Kyoryu'. Why did I say too much? I always say too much.

@tsukkitsun: I'm sorry.

@tsukkitsun: I shouldn't have told you this.

@tsukkitsun: Goodnight. Sleep tight. Sweet dreams.

Tsukiko quickly switched off her phone, not wanting to see 'Kyoryu's' reply.

She stood up slowly so as to not strain her knee anymore. Holding the wall for support, she trudged out of her room. She wanted to get some milk. Milk always helped her calm down. Hopefully, it would help this time as well.

She was halfway down the stairs when she heard her Dad's faint voice.

Why is he awake? She thought, continuing to walk down.

However, she stopped on her tracks when she heard her name.

"--to keep Tsukiko here?"

What? Who is he talking to? What does he mean keep me here?

She crouched down and saw her Dad leaning on the kitchen counter, his phone pressed to his ear.

"Goddamnit, Amaya!" He hissed softly, clenching his fist. "You need to give your daughter a choice!"

Mum? He's talking to Mum? I thought they didn't talk to each other anymore? She thought, hearing her mother's name in the conversation. And why are they talking about me? Are they quarrelling again?

"She's old enough to make her own decisions! She's not five!"

What are they talking about?

"Damnit! She's my daughter too! I don't want to listen to the crap coming out of your mouth!"

Tsukiko held in a gasp. It was just like those fights they had when Tsukiko and Tobio were younger. She hated those times. Tobio would crawl into her bed and hug her while sniffing softly as they heard shouting from the living room. Sometimes, they would even hear things breaking. But those weren't the worse. The last time they fought, Dad didn't come home.

She heard her Dad slam the phone on the counter and she took that as the queue to run back up to her room. It took longer than she expected because of knee but she was already lying on her bed when she heard her Dad open the door of her room.

She closed her eyes tightly and tried to look as if she was already asleep. She didn't want to talk to her Dad after what she had just heard. It brought back unwanted childhood memories.

A loud sigh came from her father before he closed the door of her room. She waited a few more minutes until the coast was clear before sitting up in her bed.

Mum and Dad... they're fighting because of me... again. It was also like that when I was younger, wasn't it?

She clenched her fists and bit her lip, looking up at the ceiling of her room.

I just cause problems for everyone don't I?

Through her clenched fist, she could feel her cold fingers on her palm.

Suddenly, she thought of Tsukishima's warm hand and she missed the feeling of their fingers entwined with each other.

A tear dropped on her clenched fist and she laughed.

Even now I'm still thinking of him. She thought, wiping the tears that continuously fell from her eyes. I'm so pathetic.