37

I walked into the house and heard a familiar piano song. from my high school years. TACO BELL!

I followed the sound to mariyahs room and she was playing the piano.
"you play!?" I ask her.
"no. I just like this song and I looked up on google how to do it" she says.
"you've never played piano in your life?" I ask her. she nodded lightly.
"My parents don't like music"
"oh" I say quietly. "have they ever heard of twenty one pilots?" I ask.
"Don't think so. They say I listen to girly songs. Apparently my music has a girly beat" she rolled her eyes.

"that's rude!" I joke. "no lie" she replied
"I could teach you" I offer.
"I would say yes if I was still 13"

"I need a snack" she replied, standing up. "here let-" she cut me off. "British snack" she says, taking a box out.
"give me that pink cake please!" I beg.
"you don't even have to ask" she says, handing me it. "yay!"
she took a small chocolate out and got her phone. I realised she was recording me so I made silly face making her giggle.

"your so cute" she laughed, putting the video on Snapchat.
"but you are" I reply, taking a last bite.
"I'm not" she replied, putting her phone down. "yes you are!" "I'm not"
"are" "not" "are" "not" "this cake is delicious" "thank you" she replied opening her laptop. "whatcha doing?"
"looking for merch" she says.
"from where?" I ask. she went on the twenty one pilots merch website.
"I hate this band" she says.
"I love this band" I replied.
"but I want that black flag so"
"let's do something fun!" I suggest.
"like...?" she asks me.

"skateboarding?" I ask.
"I cant skateboard" she says quietly.
"what!?" I exclaim standing up.
"where's your childhood?" I ask her.
"down the drain" she mumbled.
"so... you can't ride a bike or bake or ride a skateboard or play a musical instrument or like dogs or... I should stop now" I say, noticing how upset she looked. "I'm sorry" I say, sitting next to her again. "It's okay" she whispers.

"so... wanna do something fun?" I ask.
she sighed, rolled her eyes and left the room. god dammit...

mariyah pov
do you know how it feels to know you can't do anything? I do. what tyler said didn't offend me that much. he's a great guy and just wanted to spend time with me.

I sat in his room in his chair looking out the window. words swarmed in my head and made me break down into tears. "mariyah... I'm sorry" the door was open and tyler was walking in.
"im not crying because of you" I say.
"can you tell me why you are?" I ask.

"When I was a kid, I would see kids all round the park and in the streets with their dads, riding bikes or playing football with them. you know where mine was?  not bothering with me! what really sucks is that I was never a daddy's girl! I never got to experience what every girl gets!" I cried into his arms. that was a lot. "I'm sure there's something your good at" He says
"I can't kick a ball!" I exclaim

"look, what about we get some chocolate ice cream and sit on the couch and talk or watch a movie to get your mind off everything" he suggests.
I nodded. "you know what..."
"what?" He asks her, wiping me tears.
"I'd rather have a loving boyfriend than a dad who treats me like his princess"

He smiled and kissed my forehead.
"your so sweet" He says to me.
"so are you" i replied, hugging him.
"you hug like you've never had a hug before" He says, wrapping his arms round my tiny body. "maybe I haven't"