September 14 (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

Dad: She is, but now is probably not the best time

Dad: Sorry, Flaca

Dad: I don't know what happened between you two, but she keeps crying into the Arroz con Leche I'm teaching her to make

Lauren: Fuck

Dad: Excuse you?

---

"Alright," Mike said, setting his phone down on the counter. "What's going on between you and my daughter? Is this about Charlie?" 

Camila stopped stirring the ingredients together in the bowl and let out a sad sigh, "I really don't want to- Put me down!" Struggling to get out of Mike's grasp, Camila wiggled around having not expected Mike to pick her up and carry her into the living room. 

"You," Mike said, setting Camila down on the couch. "Are gonna talk to Papa J."

"Mike, I-"

"You're not leaving this room until you talk to me," Mike told Camila as he sat down in the chair next to the couch. "I saw your face when Lauren was talking with Clara about Charlie, not to mention the super passive aggressive text about Lauren's new boyfriend you sent. Sometimes my daughter, love her to death, can be completely clueless. She's never been good with emotions and-"

"She stayed out all night at Charlie's studio," Camila whispered, causing Mike to choke on his sentence. "I text her a bunch and called her and she didn't answer, she said her phone died, but I don't know. She didn't get home until like nine this morning and she left around one in the afternoon yesterday, I just- I called the hospital and the police like twenty times last night, I was so scared and she just brushed it off like it wasn't a big deal."

Mike let out a breath of air and leaned back in his chair, "You should talk to her. Tell her how you feel. About everything, about Charlie, about your Sunday plans, about how what she said about you not knowing about art hurt your feelings and about-"

"How did you-"

"I saw your face," Mike said sadly, tilting his head to the side. "Lauren gets her obliviousness from Clara, not from me," he nodded. "You shouldn't be hanging out with this old man, you should be talking, fighting if you have to, with my daughter. Nothing changes if you avoid being in the same room as her. We can pick this lesson up another time, but you need to-"

"I have nothing to say to her."

"Yes you do."

---

"Camz? Is that you?" Lauren asked, walking out of the kitchen when she heard the front door open and shut just moments later. "I'm glad you're home because- Camila please don't walk away from me," Lauren called out when Camila refused to meet her eyes, walking straight by her and towards the bedroom. "Look, Camz, I'm-" Camila ignored the fact that Lauren followed her, grabbing for her school bag from the floor next to the bed before turning to exit the room once again. Wordlessly Camila tugged her arm from Lauren's grip as the girl tried to stop her from walking by, "Camz, please?"

For a second, Lauren thought she may have a chance to talk when Camila decided to turn back around, but instead she watched Camila grab one of the blankets off the bed, along with her pillow before pushing, quite literally, by Lauren and making her way into the living room with Lauren on her heels. 

"Camz, please don't do this," Lauren begged, tears welling in her eyes. "Please?" 

Settling herself down on the couch, blanket wrapped around her, Camila pulled one of her books from her bag along with a notebook, but she hadn't had a chance to open it before Lauren was pulling it from her hands. "Do you mind? I need to work on an assignment," Camila mumbled, grabbing for her notebook.