"Nice to see you after so long, son. I really missed having you around." I spoke to myself lowering the tone of my voice.

"Ah shucks dad, I missed' yall too," I replied to myself, realizing I was speaking in a southern accent for no reason. I chuckled at that, and then laughed some more as I watched my dad try and herd the horses back into the field.

"HELP YOU LITTLE PRICK!" He snarled, but I simply grabbed my bag from the back seat and walked up to the front porch.

"I'm back" I grinned and left my father to chase after the horses, while I made a point of making myself at home... By throwing my bag in the middle of the sitting room and laying down across the sofa.

"Ethan" I looked up to see my mother stood in her dressing gown, shaking her head in disappointment.

"Good morning mom" I grinned, and she rolled her eyes. "You're fathers going berserk out there. Please tell me you didn't let the horses out again." She sighed and sat across from me.

"I thought I'd make an impression, you know – show dearest daddy what he missed while I was gone."

"You know he's not going to kick you out." She gave me a parented look, and my smile dropped completely.

"What?"

"He's not going to throw you out." She said again.

Damn.

"So why have you been skipping school?" My mom asked.

...And that brought me back to reality. With just one thought I felt that same crushing feeling in my chest.

"M-Mom, how do you know if someone's your mate?"

Shit did I really just say that? Damn bad move... very bad move.

I got up and looked out the window to see my father still chasing the horses on the field.

"How about we take an early morning trek?" She suggested, and I hastily agreed.

It didn't take us long to get the horses ready, and by the time we were out of the fields we own, the sun was just beginning to rise.

"I bet it feels weird to ride again" My mom smiled kindly, and I nodded. My heart was still clenched in my chest as I stressed about what she might say. However I was thankful for the small talk, but really, I just wanted to get it over and done with. Do I regret asking my mom? Yes. Do I want to take it back? No.

We rode in this awkward silence on a path I had ridden since I was a little boy. It didn't take much thought to ride it – just a simple flat track, with one field on one side another on the other. 'Not a single car or road in sight.' My mother used to say when I was a kid.

"Have you found your mate, Ethan?" My mom finally asked, and I inwardly sighed. I knew this was coming. – Lucking for me I was pretty good at lying, I had to be.

I casually laughed and shook my head, pulling us out of the awkward atmosphere.

"Nah mom," I told her as I glanced her way. "But I'm getting older, and I still haven't found her, and you know Klaus is going on that hunt for his mate. I was just wondering –y'know whether I should be looking out for mine" I shrugged and then looked towards the way we were heading.

"Honey, You're seventeen you're really not that old. Your father and I found each other in our mid-twenties... However that was pretty late, but that's because I only moved to the area at that time. By the time I came about your father had pretty much given up hope of ever finding me." She lightly laughed in amusement and stared off into space, as she remembered a time I hadn't been alive for.