Chapter 22 // Dinner For Two

"Lumière!"

Marie smacked his hand as he was picking at the Gratin Dauphinois. She shoved him to the side and began seasoning it.

Lumière sighed loudly and groaned, "Mon amour, just a taste of your delicious Gratin Dauphinois is all I need to keep going. We have been working for hours!"

The kitchen was completely chaotic. Pots screamed and bubbled over, sending the flames dancing crazily when water splashed them.  Over the past several hours, Cogsworth and Lumière would bash heads on everything. Always running into each other, one trying to show the other how to do something the "correct" way, verbal teasing—all of it sent Marie crazy.

Who knew a small dinner for two would drive everyone so hysterical. 

Unlike the chefs for the night, Mrs. Potts and Chip delicately laid out all the table ware. No fuss or trouble, just a peaceful silence. Marie had to swap with Mrs. Potts several times due to the absolute chaos in the kitchen.

Although the preparations were maniacal, as the time grew nearer to get Beaumont and Adam ready, Marie couldn't help but smile wildly. 

She only hoped the two would buy the bait.

As cuisine was finishing and the atmosphere finally calmed, Marie went out to the dining room to retrieve Mrs. Potts. It was time to add the final touches to the dinner: the couple.

Marie and Mrs. Potts made their way to Beaumont first. He was the less stubborn one after all. Once at his door, Mrs. Potts took her leave.

"I will retrieve his clothing." She touched Marie's arm with a smile and strode off down the hall.

Marie put her ear to the door before entering. Beaumont was playing a soft ballad. She frowned, knowing that he played that specific song to clear his mind of something that was bothering him. She knocked on the door softly and said sweetly, "Beaumont?"

The guitar ballad cut off. After a moment, the door opened with a defeated Beaumont standing in the doorway. He gave his best smile and leaned against the frame, "Yes, mother?"

Marie walked past him into the room. It was unkempt, she was finally seeing how much Adam's rejection was effecting him.

She turned to him and said, "Dinner will be ready soon. I just wanted to check in on you before you get dressed."

Beaumont chuckled softly and cocked his head to the side with a raised eyebrow, "I'm already dressed, mother. I don't understand what you mean."

Marie shook her finger, "You're dirty, Beaumont. I expect a bath from you."

"But mother—"

"Beaumont." She ordered.

Beaumont shrank into himself and looked away from her, "Of course. I'm sorry."

Marie knew her nagging didn't faze him that much anymore. He listened to whatever she said obediently, but she realized Beaumont was in a very sensitive state. She reacted with a hug. 

Beaumont accepted the embrace and held her close. They separated and Beaumont smiled, saying, "I'm fine, mother. I'll be down promptly." He started walking down the hall.