Chapter 6 // A Mysterious Figure

"Master? Deepest apologies for disturbing you, but there appears to be a stranger exploring the grounds."

A man of beastly form rose from his perch on the balcony from the uppermost tower of the castle.

"I've noticed." He said in a low, baritone voice that sent vibrations throughout the room.

Each time the plump man heard it, it sent shivers down his body.

The mysterious figure stared down at his garden attentively as he listened to Beaumont's sweet singing voice echo throughout the forest. The song he was singing brought back a memory; a time of liveliness and joy. Something long since forgotten in this lonely castle. A half-smile stretched across his face.

"Master?" The servant chimed in.

The tall shadow on the perch caught his distraction and shook away the pleasant memory. He cleared his throat and ordered, "You must retrieve him immediately. Offer your services, but his stay must not be prolonged, Cogsworth."

"Of course, my Prince." He turned around, but a new realization caused him to tremble where he stood, "But what if he tells other people of this place? He could lead more people here! It's dangerous!" He began to pace anxiously by the doorway, mumbling possible solutions to himself.

The Prince became frustrated and shot a glance at his nervous servant, "I KNOW THAT!" He roared with a snarl, "WILL YOU CALM YOURSELF?!"

Cogsworth froze, eyes wide with fear.

"I-I'm sorry for yelling." He turned back towards the forest, shrinking in his cloak, "I didn't mean to frighten you."

Cogsworth straightened up, fixing his necktie before saying, "No, Master, I should be the one to apologize. Please forgive me for frustrating you. It's just that if your secret becomes known, who knows what will happen!" He voice softened, "I won't let harm come your way."

"Thank you, Cogsworth."

He nodded with a smile before continuing, "Do you have any suggestions, master?"

The Prince took a moment to think. Finally, an idea came to mind.

"You must let him stay the night."

"Excuse me!?"

"Let me finish!" The prince growled. He immediately regretted his overreaction and exhaled shamefully, "It may sound like a cruel thought, but we must put him to sleep. Take him far from here in the night. No harm done, it's our only option."

Cogsworth's anxiety subsided, a rush of determination fueled his heart, "That's perfect, my Prince! I will tell the others immediately!" Cogsworth wobbled off as quickly as his feet allowed him to. The Prince sat back down and observed Beaumont again from above. He sighed and shut his eyes, listening to him sing his soft melody. A smile returned to The Prince's face.

🌹     🌹     🌹     🌹     🌹

Beaumont sang to the roses as if performing in front of an entire audience of people. He skipped and danced joyously down each row of roses, scanning them carefully. Beaumont had to be sure he chose the most perfect one from the lot for his mother. Just before repeating the chorus to his audience, two figures approaching him caught his eye . Beaumont was startled and sharply turned his body towards them. He blushed profusely as he looked upon a tall slender man and a short plump woman.