Chapter 1 // Beaumont

"Beaumont! Beaumont, my dear boy, where are you?"

"Just outside mother! I'll be right in!"

A handsome young man entered the small, withering cottage. Not much of a home, but it was enough for its two current residents. Beaumont carried an old, withering guitar, which he held carefully, and gently placed it in the corner of the kitchen. Long, blonde hair gleaming like the sun covered the boy's dirt infested face. He pushed his hair away to reveal the small oceans dwelling within his eyes as he passively smiled at his dear mother, Marie.

"You called?" he said as he washed dirt from his face and hands.

"Yes, my love, I need you to run into town for me to pick up a couple things. Here's the list—," Marie looked upon Beaumont's face with a sneer and grabbed a wet towel from the sink, "I did not raise such a handsome boy to be so messy!"

Beaumont snickered and clutched his heart disparagingly, "How dare I!" He professed mournfully as he pretended to feel faint and fall back in a chair, "Oh mother, I have failed you so! Let me never work again so I can care for my looks over caring for you!"

Marie slapped his hand with a grin, "Now stop it, Beaumont! You know what I meant."

Beaumont rubbed his hand smiling devilishly at Marie, "Only kidding you, mother." The young man retrieved the list and glanced it over as Marie wiped the muck from his face. He looked up at his mother with a confused complexion, "This is a very long list! Rope? Wool blankets? What do we need all these extra supplies for?"

"For your journey, my love! You can never be too prepared."

Beaumont tilted his head back letting out a loud groan, "Mother! I've told you thousands of times. I'll be perfectly fine!"

Marie shook her finger at her son, "I will not have this discussion with you, Beaumont!" She placed the dirty towel used to wash Beaumont's face to the side, "This is your first time leaving town without me and I will not have you unprepared!"

"Mother, you worry too much about me! We made this trek ever since I was a boy!" Beaumont took his mother's hands in his own, sitting her and himself down, "I'm 18 years old, I'm one of this towns best horseman! Mother, I know the trails like I do the frets of my guitar! We shouldn't waste our money for things we already have."

Marie grinned at her boy, admiring his aspiration, "I know, Beaumont, I know." She pushed a loose hair from his face, "It's just that... you're my son and a mother can't help but worry." Marie stared longingly at Beaumont, "I see more and more of your father in you everyday."

This comment made Beaumont turn away from his mother, "I wish I'd known him..." He looked to his mother with a sense of desperation,"Please...tell me one more thing about him, I need to know!"

Knowing she wouldn't be able to take back what she said, Marie sighed and went on, "Well, your father was bold and unrelenting. Some admired him for it, like myself, and others scoffed at the sight of him, but your father never backed down from doing the right thing and never took orders from anyone. Why do you think I'm so hard on you!?"

They both laughed with each other and embraced lovingly. Beaumont kissed his mother's forehead dearly, "Thank you for all you do for me, mother." He departed from Marie and headed for the door. Beaumont turned back to her, rolling his eyes, "If it pleases you, I will make sure to purchase the ABSOLUTE essentials on this list."

Marie smiled cheerfully at Beaumont, "Thank you, my love!"

Before departing, Beaumont grabbed his antique guitar from the kitchen.

"Will you be practicing today?" Marie said as he stood in the doorway.

"But of course, mother! I've been working on a new piece for quite awhile now."

She held her hands on her hips and pointed an accusing finger at him, "Alright, but don't be late again! And I mean it!"

"Yes, mother." Beaumont smiled and took his leave.