Chapter 14 // The Beast

Warning: Blood and violence in content.

Adam successfully retrieved the sketchbook. Before taking his leave, he couldn't help but take a peek at the pages. It brought a smile to his face when he saw the drawings of Beaumont as a child, blushing at the more "personal" baby sketches.

Scanning the pages and seeing the world through Marie's eyes brought Adam joy, but also pulled at his heart. He never could have imagined something like this with his family. They were far too busy ruling a kingdom than to spend time with their own son.

Adam pushed away the memory of his childhood and shut the book with a sigh, placing it safely in his cloak.

Now to find Beaumont.

He took off Beaumont's scarf from around his neck and sniffed it. The sweet, almost floral aroma of the scarf brought a smile to Adam's face.

Smells just like him, he thought absentmindedly.

After realizing his distracted thought, he shook his head and blushed wildly.

Why does this keep happening to me? He makes me feel so...strange.

I can't put words to it.

I care for him, but that's all...

Right?

Adam growled frustratingly and departed from the little cottage, sprinting on all fours towards Marie and Beaumont.

He's a man and I'm a man...well...he's a man and I'm a horrid beast.

He picked up the pace, hoping it would push away these strange thoughts.

These feelings are just in my head.

But why does he have be so... perfect?

Beaumont's scent was becoming stronger and stronger as Adam hurtled through the dense forest. Suddenly a new scent caught his attention, making him stop abruptly to sniff the air more clearly. Adam's body tensed and his fur stood on end as he came to the realization they were being followed by three other men.

They seem to be tailing them. Could this be Edon?

Adam's blood boiled. He dug his massive claws into the dirt as his rage began to overwhelm him. The man inside was quickly slipping away. He had a one track mind set on one thing: protect. It didn't matter what happened to him or others in return.

Not a moment later, the Beast darted through the forest toward Beaumont.

🌹      🌹      🌹      🌹      🌹

Beaumont and Marie sat comfortably in the carriage, staring up at the stars in silence.

Beaumont looked over at his mother and smiled, placing his head on her shoulder, "You're going to love where we're going, mother."

Marie gave him a quick smirk and went back to staring at the stars.

He frowned, noticing she was distracted by something else. Though Beaumont was excited, he had to admit this may be too overwhelming for her. He lifted his head from her shoulder and asked, "How are you holding up with all of this?"

"I'm fine, Beaumont." Marie let out a sigh and admitted, "The one thing that's been on my mind though is where it is we're going? I mean...is it a cave or something?"

Beaumont laughed, "No, mother! He's not that kind of beast." He smiled excitedly and gushed, "It's an ancient castle."

"Come again?"