Chapter 16 // The Library

Adam's recovery came quicker than Beaumont could have imagined.

For the past several days, Adam had to stay bedridden in order for his wounds to fully heal. It took a lot of convincing, but he listened obediently.

Beaumont never left his side. Adam nor the servants liked the fact that he decided to bunk on the room's floor, but Beaumont didn't mind it. He liked having company. 

Adam never mentioned it, but he did too. Waking up and seeing Beaumont sleeping soundly on the floor always started his day with a smile.

With all the time Beaumont spent there, he started sprucing up the cluttered, barn-like room with help from Marie. Adam couldn't help feeling ashamed by the mess he made and insisted on helping, but when Marie shook her finger at him, he wouldn't dare talk back.

It took a lot of dusting and scrubbing, but the room was practically back to its original state. Minus all the damaged furniture and decor. For the first time in a long time, the sun welcomed Adam in the morning; the windows finally free of their thick layer of dust and grime. It made the desolate room he called home for so long actually feel like a cozy bedroom.

When Beaumont wasn't cleaning, Adam took the opportunity to start giving him reading lessons. 

Beaumont was very involved, and soaked up everything Adam taught him like a sponge. By the third day, he could recite the full alphabet and was able to write basic words on paper.

After five long days of staying bedridden, Adam had quite enough of it. The bedsores hurt worse than his injuries. He looked over at Beaumont, who was divulged in a children's story book, and said sternly, "I want to get up, Beaumont. I don't care what you say. I'm getting up."

Beaumont raised his head and looked at Adam. He had his ears tucked back and arms crossed stubbornly, "Alright, Adam." He smiled at him and compromised, "Could I at least check your wounds first?"

Adam groaned, "Fine... but it won't change my decision."

Beaumont unwrapped the bandages from Adam's massive, dog-like thigh. The hole that the arrow left was almost completely healed. There was no sign of an injury at all; just a missing patch of fur where the scar was. Beaumont looked up at Adam with a shocked expression and thought:

How the hell did that heal so fast?

"What?" Adam asked shyly.

"Oh nothing." Beaumont extended his arm out with a smile, "Let's get you up."

🌹      🌹      🌹      🌹      🌹

Marie and Mrs. Potts giggled softly as they walked and chatted down the corridors of the West Wing. 

Ever since Beaumont and Marie arrived at the castle, things seemed more active and joyful. Lumière and Cogsworth were always by Marie's side if she needed anything, and when she did need something, the two constantly bickered on who got to help her. Marie could tell they were fond of her, but she wasn't complaining.

"Less work for me!" She explained to Mrs. Potts with a devilish grin.

Mrs. Potts also found an interest in Marie. She finally had someone to talk to who could understand where she was coming from. Two hot-headed butlers, her little boy Chip, and a man-beast weren't the best company in the huge castle.

Having another woman around cleared the air a bit.

As Marie and Mrs. Potts approached the doors to Adam's room, they were stopped by one of the doors slowly opening.