Chapter 5 // The Castle

Horse harnessed. Carriage packed. Beaumont was completely ready for his annual journey to the market.

Winters were harsh in their little town, which meant the village supplies ran scarce. Without this run, Beaumont and Marie wouldn't be able to survive the season.

A couple days have passed since Beaumont's run in with Edon, and the fear of his return changed him drastically. He couldn't work, eat, or even think straight—he would just pace back and forth by the window with the same questions ringing repeatedly through his mind:

Will Edon tell the village I find interest in men?

When will he come after me again?

Will I ever be safe here?

Luckily, that damn wolf hasn't made an appearance in town since that day. He was probably off "saving" more damsels in distress. Although he wasn't around, Beaumont's anxiety of his unwanted return at any moment drove him mad. Watching him go through this worried Marie greatly. She was watching her son literally wither away. It pained her to do so, but she decided it would be best for Beaumont to go to the market earlier.

As Beaumont was finishing his packing, he looked over at Marie watching him from the patio with a frown on his face. He sighed and made his way over to her. She immediately put on a smile, but Beaumont still sensed worry within it.

"It's only a couple of days, mother." Beaumont said as he took her hand in his.

"I know, my love, but it will feel like an eternity." She turned away from him, "I just know it."

Beaumont climbed up and over the railing and hugged Marie. She closed her eyes and held him tightly against her. After a moment, she released him and caressed his cheek. She couldn't help but frown as she looked upon his bruised face. His injuries were still fresh, holding a black and blue coloring. Overtime his wounds would heal, but they will leave deep scars; a constant reminder of that fateful night. Beaumont noticed Marie staring and quickly turned away from his embarrassment.

Marie stepped closer to him and turned his face back to hers, staring deeply into his eyes, "Things will get better, I promise."

Beaumont pulled away from her and leaned against the railing. He shook his head and pointed at his face, "Things may get better, mother, but this will never change." He bowed his head in shame, "I look like a freak...who could ever learn to love someone like me."

"Come here, my love." Marie said gently. Beaumont slumped his way to her and stood in front of her with his gaze facing down. She held onto his hand firmly, "Just remember this... 'Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind'."

Beaumont smiled and tightened his grip around her hand. A new sense of confidence rushed through him, "I will remember that. Thank you, mother."

Marie smiled, but it quickly turned back into an uneasiness.

Beaumont noticed this change and asked with concern, "Is there anything I can do to ease your stress?"

Marie straightened up and nodded, "Yes, actually. I want a rose."

"What?" Replied Beaumont with a soft chuckle.

"When you return, I'll expect a rose alongside you." She said flatly.

"That's an odd request." He smiled and kissed Marie's forehead, "Consider it done!"

Beaumont hopped back over the railing and climbed into the carriage seat, taking hold of the reigns.

"Oh, Beaumont!"

Beaumont turned to her attentively, "Yes, mother?"

"I expect just a rose on that seat. Not a ravishing young lad for company."

"MOTHER!" Beaumont's face became flustered as he looked around him, making sure no one else heard her. Marie laughed hysterically as Beaumont smiled shaking his head, "I love you, mother. I'll be back in a couple of days."

"I love you too, my sweet boy. Now get a move on!"

Beaumont nodded and pulled the reigns. Their horse, Phillipe, started off.

🌹       🌹       🌹       🌹       🌹

An orange hue covered the forest, insinuating dusk.

Beaumont arose from his slumber. This was his sixth day out—only a couple more hours until he was back in Villeneuve. Although he missed Marie dearly, it felt good to finally sleep in peace for once. Out in the woods, the stress of home was far gone, which finally brought a genuine smile across his face. As Beaumont sat upright, he could feel his fingers beginning to twitch; a clear indication of what they've been craving: the guitar.

There wasn't a day that went by where Beaumont didn't think about playing. Although his voice was just as pleasant, having the ability to hold his instrument under his arms just one more time would be all he needed to feel whole again.

It would take special tools, but they were much too expensive when Beaumont went searching at the market. He could only hope his amateur skills in carpentry will aid him in making a new one if ever given the opportunity.

Beaumont patted Phillipe, "Let's get on home old boy." He climbed into the carriage and started off.

Hours have passed since his departure. Beaumont at last woke up from what was supposed to be a quick nap. As he checked his surroundings, panic swept over him, realizing he had absolutely no clue where he was.

Beaumont looked at Phillipe and said aloud, "Really, Phillipe? I know I said I didn't want to go home, but I didn't actually mean it!"

Phillipe huffs, as if he was replying.

He sat back with a thud and shook his head. Suddenly, snow began to fall all around Beaumont, catching him off guard.

Beaumont reached a hand out, catching a few flakes on his palm. He gasped in wonder, "Snow in August? There's no w-way—"

As Phillipe moved into a clearing, the sight before Beaumont left him completely speechless.

In his midst was a glorious castle coated with snow like an ice fortress. It was the grandest architecture Beaumont had ever seen. He was only used to cracked walls and cobblestone streets, but this castle was completely awe-inspiring, truly a sight to behold. After catching his bearings, Beaumont began to approach the gate cautiously. He tied off Phillipe, deciding, out of a great urgency to explore, to continue on foot.

The bars to the iron gate were just big enough for his thin frame to squeeze through. Long rows of bushes and trees guided him to a wide marble staircase. As he approached with caution, Beaumont agreed to scan the perimeter before trying to get inside. If anything, someone could be living here, but it seemed abandoned from the state of the unkempt plantation.

Just around the corner, a garden caught his eye. Several rose bushes, perfectly trimmed and pristine, stood before him.

Beaumont's eyes glistened at the sight, "Hopefully whoever resides here, if there even is one, won't mind me taking one for mother."

As Beaumont went searching, two shadows peered from around the corner.

"Look! It's a boy!" the man whispered.

"Yes I can see that, you fool! Should we tell the master about him?"

"Why ask me? I thought you were the head of the household?"

The round man grunted, "Fine. I shall inform the master. Be useful and get Mrs. Potts will you? She's better at confrontations."

"But of course, mon amie."