Talk to Me

Someone had requested a one-shot after ski lodge. I don't know what you had in mind, but this what came to my mine. I'm so sorry it took so long, so I hope that this is okay. 

It's been a few days since Lucas made his decision at the ski lodge. The happiness Riley felt that day was beyond describable, but there was something still lingering in the air around them. Something no matter how much Riley tried to push away, she couldn't.

On Wednesday, Riley had to skip out on the daily routine of going to Topanga's to do homework, the way she had been doing all week, but this time she had a real excuse. She had to go straight home right after school since her parents needed her to babysit Auggie because they were going out on a date. A task Maya would usually help with, but she was too occupied with an art project. Riley didn't mind; she was excited to have much needed sister brother bonding with Auggie.

Throughout the night, Riley and Auggie tried to do everything they can possibly do in the four hours before Auggie's bedtime. Riley made sure he did his homework, as she did hers. After school work was out of the way, she had made mac and cheese for the two of them. They had little time to play candyland, and watch a movie before Riley had to spend Auggie off to bed.

Riley is sitting in bay window her knees pushed against her chest, staring out onto the streets of the city; earphones in her ears. The window is slightly open, so she feels the nice breeze of the wind touch her skin; as well as her curtains that blow back. Riley watches a couple, maybe in college, walk hand in hand. They both wear smiles on their faces, and the girl's smile soon turns into an out-mouth smile as she nudges the boy. Riley assumes he said something funny that might have been slightly offensive.

She is focused on the couple outside her window, that she didn't realize someone sliding in through her window. The person tries to say something, but after realizing Riley couldn't hear them, they reach out and touch her knee, startling Riley. She pulls her gaze away from the couple outside, and to the person sitting next to her. Riley's eyes meet warm green ones.

Lucas softly smiles at her as she removes her earphones. "You know, you shouldn't leave your window open in the middle of the night."

She purses her lips together into a small smile, revealing her dimples. She looks down at her phone looking for the time; 10:19. "It's late. What are you doing here?"

Lucas coaxes his head. "Do you not want me here?"

Riley shakes her head, "Of course I do!" she says eagerly. "You're one of my favorite people." The words send a smile to Lucas' lips.

He slowly exhales, "Riley," he pauses, and Riley looks for him, searching his eyes. "What's wrong?"

Riley slightly coaxes her head, "What? What are you talking about?"

"You've been avoiding everyone...you've been avoiding me. Did I do something wrong? I just, I thought we were happy," he voices drifts off, and Riley can feel her heart sink. She was happy, she is happy, but that doesn't mean her insecurities are going to disappear.

Riley traces the hearts on her pajama bottoms, not once looking up. "Why did it take you so long to make a decision?" her voice is slightly above a whisper. She was happy that she was the one he chose, but her mind wouldn't stop with the ideas that Lucas still held feelings for Maya.

Lucas looks at her and sees the damage that the triangle actually did to the girl in front of him. He sighs deeply, and that's when it hit him. He knew exactly what was wrong, and he knew just how much he messed up. "I was scared to move. I was scared that no matter who I chose I'd lose you," Riley parts her lips, but Lucas continues, "If I chose Maya, I'd lose you, but if I chose you, and it hurt Maya, you'd let guilt get in the middle of our relationship." Riley doesn't say anything because Lucas is right. "When Farkle announced you still loved me on New Year's, fireworks went off inside my chest. I felt like I score the winning run." Riley smiles. "It didn't take me long to realize who I wanted to be with, and I know it makes me look bad for stringing this out for so long, but I couldn't lose you, Riley."

RucasOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara