A Christmas Wish

I don't know how Christmas-y this is. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy. It sounded a lot better in my head.

---

Lucas was on a plane back to New York; somewhere he hasn't been since high school ended in June. He left for college the very next day and hadn't looked back since, well he tried his best. Riley had ended things a few weeks before their high school graduation with no explanation, and he knew once she decided something it was nearly impossible to change her mind. It's not that he didn't try, he did with everything he had, but it was to no use.

Thoughts are running through his head the closer he gets, mostly of Riley. He hadn't seen her since he left, and he wasn't sure if he was ready to see her. He wasn't even sure if he should be in New York, but it was either come here or spend Christmas alone in Texas.

When the plane finally touches down, Lucas quickly grabs his duffle bag from above and shuffles off the plane with the other passengers. As soon he is off and in the airport, his eyes start to scan around. Zay was supposed to be picking him up.

He jumps slightly when someone places a hand on his shoulder. He turns to see Zay looking at him with a smile spread across his face.

"Lucas!" Zay exclaims. He pulls Lucas into a hug making him drop his bag.

"Hey man," Lucas says pulling away. "Thanks for letting me stay with you," he says picking his bag up from the floor.

"Are you kidding me?! I wasn't going to let my best friend spend Christmas alone!" Zay says taking the lead walking through the airport with Lucas right next to him. "Where did everybody go anyways?"

"Well, Pappy Joe went on a trip with his new lady friend."

Zay's eyes widen, "What Pappy Joe has a girlfriend?" Lucas lets out a small chuckle as he nods. "Way to go Pappy Joe! What about your parents?"

"My dad had to go on a business trip. He tried to push the trip at least until after the holidays, but his boss is like the grinch or something. Anyways, my mom went with him. I think they took it as a romantic getaway. They invited me along, but I didn't want to be a third wheel with my parents." Pause. "And what about you, why weren't you able to go home for Christmas?"

Zay sighs, "I couldn't get the days off. I work tomorrow morning, then I'm off Christmas, but work the day after. I told my mom I make up for missing Christmas somehow, but the head chef asked for me personally to work. I couldn't say no."

I pat his back, "You are on your way to reaching your goal. You were just a busboy, and you manage to make your way as a cook in a five-star restaurant." Zay smiles. I clear my throat, "So, uh, how is everyone, what are they all up to?"

The only person Lucas still stayed in contact with was Zay, and even the two have a strain in their friendship. Everyone else he kind of pushed them away. He just naturally assumed they would all side with Riley since they knew her before him.

"Well, Farkle and Smackle are still going strong. Farkle's dad has him interning at Minkus International as he goes to school. Smackle right now is focusing on her schooling. She's waiting to hear back from some scientists about a theory she's been working on." Zay's eyes shift to the side as he scans his thoughts. "Maya is loving art school. She volunteers at the community center giving art lessons when she isn't in class. Her and Josh are finally together, so that's a good thing. I say everyone is doing good." He stops talking when the two approach his car, and he fumbles in his pocket for his keys. Lucas throws his bag in the backseat, and both slide inside.

Lucas waits for him to continue with how a certain someone is doing, but he doesn't. Lucas wants nothing more to know how Riley is doing. He tried cyber stalking her, but that's a bit difficult when the person you try stalking never updates any of her accounts.