Chapter Twelve : Finally

-TWELVE-

FINALLY

                My eyes suddenly got heavy after an hour of watching TV with Dad and Grandma so I was the first one to head upstairs to my room.

                The day caught up on me and all I want is to sleep. I open the door to my room, not even bothering to think about the chills, close it behind me and head to the closet to get my towel.

                Using Grandma’s pajamas last night gave me a long, dreamless dream. As much as I want to use it again, it’s in the laundry, dirty and waiting to be washed.

                I enter the bathroom, opening the lights as I feel the cold tiles on my bare feet, and run the water in the bath tub. Something in me just wants to run to my bed and doze off but it’s been a hard day and I think a shower can help with that.

I strip down from my jeans and t-shirt, feeling a bit uncomfortable of being naked even when I’m alone, and step in the bath tub. The warm water makes me moan to myself, feeling relaxed all of a sudden. I close my eyes, hoping that this is actually my bed.

I’m almost going to doze off, sinking even deeper in the water, when I suddenly feel uneasy. I shift my position and let it slide.

I can almost imagine myself, lying on my back in a field, the sunlight warming my whole body, feeling as if nothing can get any better than this.

The moment was beautiful and relaxing when I suddenly feel cold. I snap my eyes open and sit up, looking around me for any signs of an intruder. I put my arms around me, feeling a presence that’s here with me. As I feel more uncomfortable, I grab my towel that I just dropped on the floor and stand up. I unclog the bath tub, hearing the water seeping in the drain and quickly dash out of the room, as quickly as possible, and turn the lights off on the way.

I shut it behind me, sighing deeply as I run my hands through my hair. Whatever’s happening, no matter how uncomfortable or weird it might get, I’m not going to freak out and handle it as calmly as possible. Closing my eyes, I count one to three, and open them again, thinking that everything’s fine and dandy.

I take a few steps and open my closet, rummaging in it to find the oversized shirt I got from Dad. When I sleep, it’s either I’m wearing pajamas or just an oversized shirt.

I put my towel aside, and close the lights, feeling my way to my bed in the dark, almost stumbling over something, and finally crawl in it. I feel the soft sheets and snuggle under the covers.

                Everything that happened today, from the breakfast, to Grandma’s shop, to the walk out, to catching Dad, to hyperventilating in the street, to finding Liam in my room, to everything, flashbacks in my head, like everything was put into an organized slideshow. I slowly find myself drifting to sleep the more I think about it and lose consciousness.

                Darlene.

                Everything’s pitch black. I know I should be horrified because of the darkness but knowing that I’m going to hear my Mom’s voice repeat my name any moment now, makes me excited.

                Darlene.

                I’ve never heard my Mom call out to me using my name. “Mom?” I call out, hoping she would say something again.

                Darlene.

                Her voice is husky, sounding as if it’s not her. It’s quite deep than her usual voice that I know is feminine and soft, making me suspicious if this is really Mom.