Deadly Game - Chapter 33

• Dedicated to Flopsie, Me-monster and Spiffz

READ IMPORTANT NOTE AFTER THE CHAPPY!!!!!!

Chapter 33

We're lined up, ready to walk in. Prep-team, escort, stylist, mentor, and winner. There are a few other mentors from District 4, former winners, friends of Evan, who have come to speak to us, and I see Evan talking in a low voice to one of them, a woman. Another, a man I'm sure everyone in the whole Panem knows, Finnick Odair, comes to stand in front of me. A hand is reassuringly placed on my shoulder.

Finnick wasn't an active mentor this year, nor were any of the others, so I don't know them. I've caught glimpses on TV, seen recaps of their games. Never spoken to them. The woman now speaking to Evan was here before the start of the games, but I never saw Finnick.

"Great job there, Blossom. Can't wait to train with you." Then he leaves to talk with Caro. His words surprise me, but I can't afford any emotions for a reaction. Everyone seems to be rebels, now when I know the signs.

I just close my eyes, focus on a poker-face. I won't let the audience see how much everything I'll see on screen now has affected me. Won't let them believe I'm weak.

"Cass?" Evan's voice is soft, worried. I open my eyes, gaze into his.

"Yeah?"

"This is my friend Lydya. Thought I should introduce her."

Lydya smiles at me, a friendly and open smile, and I see some pity in her eyes. I remember that she was eighteen when she won. She probably pities me, going through this at my age. Because I also see in her eyes that she's never really healed the scars of the Arena.

I guess nothing, not even time, can.

"Congratulations, Cassidy. I bet we'll see each other a lot later on, so we'll have plenty of time to get to know each other better."

I realize how much of a family these winners become.

Suddenly someone says that we're about to begin, and the friendly chatter disappears as people take their right places, preparing to go in. I lift my chin, but my hands are trembling.

Evan stands in front of me, and as the prep-team and Violet enters, he whispers over the loud applause,

"Poker-face, Cass. I'm with you through it, okay?"

I nod, and swallow. His hand finds mine for a moment, squeezes it reassuringly, and then lets go as Caro enters. The clapping and screaming increases.

Evan walks out, and I wait until it's my turn.

I take the few steps out of the door, out on the stage, and the lights almost blind me. I keep a poker-face, let a small smile slip onto my lips. The crowd is cheering, my ears hurt, but I smile.

Caesar Flickerman greets me, smiling so brightly that I almost can't look at him. I hear what he's saying, but my brain does not register it. I hear myself answering, hear the crowds laughter, but I have no idea what I'm saying.

I'm soon allowed to sit down, and the show begins. Watching the recap of the whole games will be extremely painful for me.

The area blackens, and I stare at the screen. What will it show me? Can I even bring myself to watch this?

Of course you can, silly. You won the games, this is nothing.

The voice inside my head whispers encouraging words, and I know my subconscious is trying to tell me that I'm strong enough to do this.

But truly, am I?

I gaze at the crowd, search Evan's face, find Caro's instead. Her eyes capture mine, silently tell me that she trusts me, counts on me.