Deadly Game - Chapter 24

So sorry for the long wait!!!

Hope you like it! I wrote the lyrics myself, btw... so no, they're not from any exsisting song.

Thank you so much to everyone who's commented and voted, please continue doing that!!! I love you all!

<3 Anna

Chapter 24

When I'm about to give up hope, I suddenly get an idea. I hope I'm strong enough for it. I mean – Faith is small, but Adina was like three years old at the time. And I was thirteen, much weaker than I am now.

But well, either way I've got no choice.

I look around for something to use, then call up to Axara,

"Can you give me your coat?" She looks down at me, surprised, but obeys, tossing her coat down into the hole.

"What do you need it for? Is Faith okay?"

"No, Faith is not okay, and I need it for something stupid and dangerous which could get both me and Faith killed if I fail."

I lift up Faith, very carefully, then with a smooth movement throw her over my shoulder to my back, trying my hardest not to hurt her more. She remains unconscious, and I'm not sure if I should be happy or terrified.

Happy - because she isn't feeling any pain. Terrified - she's badly hurt.

I wrap her lifeless limbs around my waist and neck, then use Axara's coat to kind of tie us together. It's really hard, but I manage. Then I take a knife from my belt and cut off some of the rope - it's so long that it reaches the bottom anyway. I use the rope I cut to tie Faith to me better, because this is going to be very hard and probably bumpy.

I take a deep breath and place my hands on the rope.

Okay, you can do this, Cassie, concentrate. It's only about three meters. Easy.

I close my eyes, mutter a quick string of pleas to whoever could help me now, then I open my eyes again, and start climbing.

My hands grip the knots, and my palms are sweaty because of nervousness. Faith is heavy on my back, and I'm afraid that she'll somehow fall, that one of my knots doesn't hold. If she falls, I'll fall, that's for sure. And we'll both be dead. Three meters is nothing, but now I see the many sharp rocks at the bottom. I don't know how Faith somehow managed to avoid them.

Or, at least, almost. She hurt herself, the blood on my hands is enough proof of that.

I feel more than see Axara hovering at the edge of the hole, her concerned gaze burning on me. But I don't look up. Nor down. That would be a mistake that could kill both me and Faith, send us down to be crushed against the rocks. If we fall, I'll be heavier, so we'll turn around in the air - Faith crushing me. And Axara would never manage to get us up, even if we survived. Which is pretty unlikely. I was wrong. This hole wasn't created to injure.

It's a death trap.

My hand slides along the rope, reaches for the next knot, and I panic when I don't find one. Instead a warm hand grips mine, and Axara helps me up, Faith still strapped to my back. Immediately she starts working on the knots, and soon Faith is pulled away from me. Axara lays her gently in the snow. I crawl to her side, my hand removing her beautiful hair from her pale face. It seems much more pale than before, as if all blood has been drained from her.

Axara kneels beside me.

"Will she be okay?"'

I shake my head. There's nothing we can do to save Faith. She hit her head too hard - I know she has inner damage that no medicines or surgeries can ever fix.