Deadly Game - Chapter 10

• Dedicated to My dhampir sister :)

Chapter 10

The words make sense. Their low conversation when I came into the dining room today, the way my prep-team acted as if Caro was their leader, the way Evan talked with respect about Caro, saying 'And as an enemy she's your worst nightmare. A devil. She can make your life a living hell. And I mean it'. Living hell... poisons.

"The revolution is growing. I'm one of the leaders here in Capitol. Each District has it's own little rebel group, except 2. Evan is the leader of District 4. I suppose you'll join their team. We have contacts in District 13, and June and Evalyn were fleeing to there with important information. They were not careful enough, and were followed. Almost halfway they noticed this, and the hovercraft that hunted them through the woods came closer. June sacrificed herself, so that Evalyn could flee and continue. Through our contacts, we know she made it, and is safe. I didn't know what had happened to June. We searched for her in the Capitol's dungeons, knowing she was probably held prisoner or killed. We didn't find her so we assumed she was dead." Caro stops to draw breath. "But we were wrong. They made her an Avox – cut her tongue."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's not your fault. They didn't get any information out of her, though. Both she and Evalyn drank a poison which allowed them to tell what they knew only to a few selected people."

Caro turns her snow-white face towards the sky, her eyes closed.

"The rebellion is coming closer. Another few years, and we'll be ready to act. And then, I want you by my side. Can you do that, Cassi? Can you take June's place as my closest helper? I know it's a big weight on your shoulders, and you're only fourteen, but still, I've never seen a stronger girl than you, and I need someone trustworthy. I need you to help me, Cassi."

I'm speechless for a few seconds, then I realize what she means. She gives me an opportunity to stop the Hunger Games, to help them kill Snow.

"I can do it."

"Do you really know what that promise means? Do you know what danger you are putting not only yourself, but everyone you love, in?"

"Yes." I'm confident. This is what I'm meant to do. "I understand, and just like June, I'm willing to take the risk."

"From now on, Cassi, you'll need to be one step ahead. You need to know what they do before they do it. This is a game of smoke and mirrors, and you have to always be one step ahead. You have to play above the rules." Caro's eyes scan my face, and I swallow.

"I will. From now on, I'm one step ahead."

"Okay, good. You're the second in command of my group. Just remember, it's smoke and mirrors. Everything you see is lies."

"Caro, if I don't make it through the games..."

"You will. I have contacts, I have money. I know the Gamemakers, and I know the sponsors. I'll help you in every way possible. All you need to do is be one step ahead, and survive. I can't help you with everything, but what I can't change, you'll face and get through. I promise."

****************

When I wake up, I'm sweaty and exhausted. I hate nightmares, and they love me.

I know I can't sleep, and decide to take a shower to calm me down. When I step into the warm water and start pressing the buttons, I think about my promise to Caro, and her promise to me. I stand under the shower for a long while, and when I finally step into the room, I'm not prepared to see what I see.

June is standing in my room, making my bed.

She glances up when I walk in, a towel wrapped around my body. I'm surprised, and I'm just about to ask what she is doing here when Caro's words resound in my head.