Deadly Game - Chapter 1

• Dedicated to You who voted!!

Thank you for voting for the prologue! Here is one chapter for you five awesome people who voted! Love ya all!

Melli (ish) in the pic

<3Anna

Cassidy Wildeman 'Cassie', 'Cass' – 14 almost 15

William Wildeman 'Will', 'Willie' – 14 almost 15

Adina Wildeman – 6

Melisea Danner 'Melli' – 14 soon 15  

Eric Danner 'Baby Boy' – 5

Riccy Danner 'Ric' – 17

Brendt Danner 'Biggie' – 18

Greg Danner – + 45

Suzanne Danner 'Suzie' – + 45

Denlay Danner   - 17

Chapter 1

It was a normal day. Nothing unusual. No warnings. Adina was sick, so she could not go to Mum's job, but that happened often. Both my twin brother Will and I were at home, taking care of her. I've always wondered why Adina chose to be sick exactly that day, and what would had happened if she weren't? Would we had lost her, too?

It got darker and darker outside, and neither Mum nor Dad came home. I put Adina to bed, and then Will and I sat by the table, staring out into the darkness, waiting. When it became obvious they wouldn't come, we got very worried. We didn't show it, but we both knew how the other one felt. We sat there all night, in silence. When the morning came, we tried to keep everything normal for Adina. We were sitting by the breakfast table, Will and I with fake smiles plastered on our faces, when we heard shooting.

Two shots.

And I just knew who had been the targets. I knew whose heads those pistols had aimed at.

Wills eyes met mine over the table, and we both saw the despair in each others eyes. Once again, no words were needed.

Two bullets.

Our lives would never be the same.

***********************************************************

Five years later

I stare at the floor, not wanting to meet anyone's gaze. I know what I'll see. Coldness. Despair. Fear.

Yet one more family has died.

It had started a few months ago, first only occasionally, then more and more. No one knew the reason in the beginning, so even more families died. Then, someone realized that this was getting serious, and experts from Capitol were called to solve the problem.

But their answers came too late.

A quarter of all the humans in District 4 have already died. And more are dying.

Well, now that we know that the deadly disease comes from the fish, everything should be fine. Stop eating fish, no one dies.

Except that it's District 4 we are talking about.

Our living is the fishing. When no one wants to buy fish, that means that we can't work. Wich means that we get no money. And that means that we have nothing to eat.

So soon some families are forced to take the risk and eat fish, hoping that the one they choose will not be carrying the disease.

"I'll see if I can get something to a low prize from the Wasley's," Will says, knowing that it isn't a possibility. "They like me, and if I take Adina with me, I might be able to get at least some old bread."

Will has worked for the Wasley's, a rich family that keeps the food shop. They like him and Adina, and they feel sorry for us loosing our parents. Quite much everyone we know gives us some food and other things for free, especially our parent's old friends.

The conversation continues around me, but I don't listen. I just wonder how this can be solved.

Adina sits beside me. Her tiny frame is slumped into the chair, her cheeks so pale and her gaze so fearful. This is slowly killing me inside, to see her and the others so weak. Adina is slowly fading away, and still she gets most of mine and Will's food. We're such a big 'family'. Soon we will have to choose.

Choose who will survive this, and who won't.

I will not accept more food soon. I will die to give a life to Adina. I know Will would too, but he will also try to keep me alive. And that's impossible. I am forever destroyed. I have gone through too much to want to keep on living. Nothing can ever fix my broken and shattered soul. I am beyond the line of help.

But Adina does not have to live that way. She remembers almost nothing about Mum nor Dad, so she can go on.

I lift my gaze, focus on one face at the time. Firstly Adina. Her brown hair, that is the same color as Dad's had been, is tangled, and her blue eyes seem all too big in her little angel's face. She will be really pretty when she grows up, a heartbreaker. If she grows up.

The little boy who is sitting next to Adina is Eric, my best friend's, Melisea Danner's, little brother, only five years old. He and Adina are close friends, and they are the most vulnerable part of our family.

Next to Eric is Melisea, and her blonde hair falls in front of her blue eyes all the time, as she tries to understand the conversation. She's not strong like me, she's fragile. She isn't good at surviving, she can't make it on her own.

Beside Melli sits her mother and father, Greg and Suzanne, and they both look serious and determined. They have been my parents for five years now, and even if I don't call them mum and dad, they are still dear to me. Beside them is Brendt, their eighteen year old son. Brendt has not only us to worry about, he is also married to a gorgeous girl named Denlay, who right now is sitting beside him, her light blue eyes hard and fierce. I have always liked her, and she treats me as a little sister.

And then there is Will. His clear eyes, so similar to my own, are almost hypnotizing. The gaze he gives me tells me everything. He will fight until his last breath to save me and the others.

Except that it won't be needed.

My eyes travel to the person on his other side, and I meet those silver-blue eyes, that have always make me feel safe and protected. Riccy looks almost expressionless, but I can see it burning inside of him. He suffers like I do. He is my big brother in every way that matters. He takes care of me, and it's to him I go when all I do goes wrong. Will has hands full with keeping track of Adina, he just can't worry about me all the time. Since our parents' deaths, we have been gliding away from each other a little, and that is not only negative. 'Cause there is only one person who can share my secret, and it is most definitely not Will. Will would do everything to stop my plan. But Riccy will take my secret with him to the grave, which he, - and I – by the way soon will be lying in. I see his eyes soften, the harden again, and I know he remembers.

Our promise is bound by blood, and we won't break it.

We have promised each other to protect our family, no matter what it costs us.

No matter if it costs us our lives.