Chapter 27

The next week is eerily calm. Jacob doesn't leave any notes or attack me. His friends pass by me in the hall but only glance at me. It's weird. I can't tell if Jacob is actually done with me or if this is the calm before the storm.

Ross still seems quieter than usual. He definitely doesn't laugh as much. At least he seems to have made up with his friends, even though we're still sitting at a different table from them.

Nadine comes over to us at lunch and sits next to me. "I'm having a party Saturday night."

Ross looks over at her curiously. "Yeah?"

"Yeah, so come. Get out of this weird depression you've been in," she tells him.

"I'm not depressed," he replies, rolling his eyes.

Nadine shrugs. "Whatever you say. You'll have fun, though. I'm only inviting people we like."

Ross looks over at me, but I don't know why. It's not like I like parties. "Jude?"

I shrug, frowning. Nadine watches me, looking disappointed. I don't know why she'd expect me to come.

"You both should come."

I look at Ross nervously, and he smiles a little. "I think you'd have fun."

"Please?" she asks, nudging me. "It's my birthday."

I give in. "Okay, fine."

-----

I fix my hair in the mirror as I hear the doorbell ring. The blue has faded away completely, and I kind of miss it. Now I look the same as I did last year. Boring, in my opinion. Dark brown hair, olive green shirt, and jeans.

I don't really know what to wear to a party.

Taking a deep breath, I answer the door. Ross smiles and takes my hand after I step outside.

We walk because Nadine doesn't live very far from us. A thought occurs to me.

"Did you get her a present or something?" I ask.

Ross snickers.

"What?"

"It's not her birthday," he says, smirking.

I frown and narrow my eyes.

"She just said that so you'd come," Ross explains, still looking amused.

I sigh. If I'd known that I probably wouldn't have bothered going. All day I'd been debating whether or not it would too overwhelming. Parties make me so anxious.

Ross squeezes my hand. "It'll be fun. I'll be with you the whole time."

"Okay," I mumble.

As we reach Nadine's house and go inside, I stick close to Ross. It's not too crowded, but I don't know most of the people. Some are hanging out in the living room and talking, while others are playing some game in the kitchen. There's an interesting mix of people. Nadine seems to have a variety of friends, and some of them have kind of an edgy style like she does.