Chapter 2

***Once again, Jude's writing is in bold, Ross's writing is underlined, and text messages are in italics***

I wanted to try to be brave but it's really, really hard. When I think I can say hello to the girl next to me in Math and try to be friendly, or ask Taylor where he got his cool backpack, I get scared. I think I'm starting to give up, and it's only been a few weeks. Part of me does want to make friends because I have a fresh start here, and the other part of me is still afraid of opening my mouth and saying something stupid.

Sitting at our table in Art, Taylor and I work quietly on our hand studies. Ross isn't here yet, which makes me a little nervous. I'll probably be a bit lonely if he doesn't come to school today. I think of asking Taylor where he is, but I can't gather the courage. I don't want to be nosey.

Taylor seems nice enough, but he's still a little intimidating. He's got a cool air about him, and although he doesn't seem the most popular guy in the whole school he still seems to be well-liked by all the artsy people.

Mr. Kidwell finishes taking attendance and then circles around the room to see how everyone's doing. By the time he gets to me I'm so involved in my drawing that I jump slightly when he speaks from behind me.

"You're doing a nice job with the shading," he says, examining the drawing of my hand.

I look up at him to be polite. I'm a little nervous, but I don't like to be rude to teachers so I try to smile.

"Did you do a lot of life drawing at your old school?" asks Mr. Kidwell.

I shrug, forcing out the words, although they're quiet. "A little."

"Mind if I show the class?" he asks.

I want to say no, but that would be awkward. I suck it up and hand him the paper.

"Everyone look over here real quick." As he lifts it up, he points to different areas. "This is a good example of noticing reflected light. Remember what we were going over earlier about light?" He sets my paper down after everyone has looked over and then heads to the board. He draws a sphere with the chalk and then begins shading it. "Most of you know this already, but when light hits an object..."

I stop paying attention and look down at my drawing. I can feel myself blushing. Everyone looked at my drawing. It's not even that good... and he still showed it to them. It makes me feel kind of proud, but at the same time embarrassed. Taylor's still looking over at my paper and I don't like the attention. I've never been good with praise.

After class I hurry out and weave through the students in the crowded hallway. I bump slightly into a tall brunette talking with her friends in the middle of where everyone is walking and try to hurry past unnoticed.

"Watch it, smurf!"

I cringe but keep going. Great, a nickname already. As soon as I was thinking my hair would be just fine among all the other artists with weird hair colors, someone just has to make a comment.

I can hear the girl's voice behind me.

"He almost made me spill my iced tea," she complains to her friends. "He didn't even apologize."

"How rude," replies one of her friends.

At this point I'm pretty sure they're trying to make sure I can hear them.

If I just turn around and apologize, they should leave me alone, right? Or should I keep going and hope they don't remember me later?

When I reach my locker, I stop and start to do the combination. Feeling their eyes on me as they pass, I turn slightly towards them and force myself to mumble, "Sorry."