I Love That Sound

Începe de la început

Anticipation flooded through me and I panted. I wasn't sure exactly which part of me he planned to taste: my blood or...

We were suddenly dramatically interrupted by a loud crash. It sounded like multiple tables and chairs had been broken into pieces the size of kindling. Myrnin spun around and slunk into a lower stance in front of me, as he searched for the threat. I hastily smoothed my dress back down and stood next to him.

Oh no!

Oliver was vibrating with fury as he snarled at Gwion, "She isn't going anywhere with you!"

Gwion replied with an amused smirk, "And who is going to stop me?"

I took a step in their direction, but Myrnin immediately shot out his arm to stop me. He whispered, "Gwion is on the edge... Do not go near him."

I couldn't tell anything out of the ordinary with Gwion, but I trusted Myrnin. I wasn't sure exactly what edge Gwion was close to, but I instinctively knew it could endanger all of us.

Oliver advanced steadily on Gwion, his intent for harm was clear. Suddenly Gwion snatched Amelie and placed her in front of him.

Oliver hissed derisively, "You would hide behind a female?"

Gwion chuckled in dark anticipation. The sound sent shivers down my spine. "I have no need to hide behind anyone, male or female," Gwion spoke slowly. "I just think it will be much more fun this way."

I saw it then - the edge that Myrnin had referred to - in the cruel twist of Gwion's smile. I held my breath, because I knew whatever he said next was going to be devastating.

And I was right.

Gwion's lip curled up deviously as he instructed, "Amelie, bring him to his knees and gouge out his eyes."

I stood frozen on the spot, along with all of the other guests watching the confrontation. My head whipped to Myrnin, panic screaming through my eyes. We couldn't just stand here and do nothing. "Amelie's guards..."I whispered. Why didn't they step in?!

Myrnin shook his head and explained quietly, "He will compel and kill anyone who stands against him. No one will defy him."

Well, clearly Oliver was intent on defying him.

"There is no need for this," Amelie replied firmly.

Gwion spun her around to face him, anger seeping into his eyes. "Is that a challenge? Are you that eager to play games with me?"

Amelie may have given away her power, but she was still a Queen and did not back down from him. Instead, she lifted her chin and waited.

Gwion seethed, "Do it now, or I will kill him and you are free to choose whatever painful death you prefer."

Amelie turned to face Oliver in resignation.

"You don't have to do this! We can beat him together," Oliver hissed.

Amelie sighed softly, "No...we can't. I will try to do it... quickly...With the least amount of pain," she whispered. Her voice rose, emanating authority as she commanded Oliver, "Kneel before me."

We waited to see if any power remained inside of her. With Gwion's control over her, it would be impossible for her to deny his order.

Oliver remained standing.

Gwion's eyes narrowed as he gritted lethally through his teeth, "You would defy me?" He took a purposeful step toward Oliver.

"No!" Amelie replied quickly, "I am trying. I had noticed a decrease in my abilities since my... Illness. I believe some of my skills may have been lost," Amelie replied, quietly looking down. My heart twisted in pain as I saw the evident loss on her face, even though I knew her power was not gone permanently.