Vodka & Moscato

Chapter 9 - Vodka & Moscato

My anger at his behavior was temporarily forgotten as I looked at how he was dressed. He was wearing an expensive deep charcoal colored suit! The top few buttons of his white crisp shirt were undone, revealing the amazing chiseled features of his chest. The pants and jacket looked like they were tailored to specifically fit his figure. His normal mess of dark curls had been tamed into a smooth pulled-back style, making the beautiful features of his face even more startling. I blinked as I openly inspected his body, letting my eyes roam from head to toe. My attention finally came to rest back on his face. He smirked at my not-so-subtle gawking. I blushed and then frowned, when I remembered I was mad at him. I hissed, trying to keep the hurt from my tone, "Where have you been? Why have you been ignoring me?"

I must not have been particularly effective at hiding my pain, because his eyes tensed. He whispered softly, "I'm sorry, Cariad, but it really is better this way." He was trying to hold his emotions back from me, but I had seen him suffer enough times to clearly recognize pain in his eyes. So why was he trying to push me away? I cringed. Was he trying to tell me he wanted more space away from me, but he didn't want to hurt my feelings?

We crossed the threshold of the plane, so I wasn't able to ask him any more questions while we filed along the narrow isle. He held my arm and murmured, "I am seated in 3B if you need me."

I looked back at him in confusion and asked, "Aren't you sitting with us?"

He smirked, "In coach? Hardly not."

I left Myrnin behind to settle in his seat, and followed Shane, Michael and Eve, not paying any attention to the seat numbers. My mind spun with questions. What was better this way? I hadn't noticed that Shane had stopped and bumped into the back of him. He glanced back at my troubled expression and whispered, "Hey, are you okay?" I nodded as he lifted my bag into the overhead bin and followed him into our seats. Eve and Michael were seated across from us.

The flight's take-off was uneventful and I settled back. Shane had been thrilled to know Myrnin wouldn't be sitting with us. My thoughts were still troubled, as I stared blankly at the magazine in my lap, not actually seeing anything on the page.

A small gasp caught my attention and I looked quickly at Eve. She and I had decided we would both sit in the aisle seats so we could chat during the flight. My brows furrowed as I took in her unusually pale features; not at all easy to determine considering her choice of almost white face make-up. But I knew her well enough to see the subtle difference. I also noticed a bead of sweat trail down her hairline. Her eyes were closed with her head leaned back. I glanced past her to see Michael urgently whispering in her ear. He was holding one of the plane's air-sick bags. Oh no, now I understood.

She suddenly lurched forward and threw-up noisily into the bag. I cringed with sympathy and reached over to gently rub her arm with my fingers. A flight attendant hurried over to assist them with disposal. Michael guided her to the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash-up. She finally settled back in her seat. Eve gave the stewardess a grateful look when she returned with Ginger ale and crackers to try to settle her belly.