You Did This To Me!

Chapter 31 – You Did This To Me!

Two days later...

I glanced up in surprise as Amelie entered the room. She actually made small talk and asked Eve, "How are you feeling?"

"Good," Eve replied hesitantly, also finding it strange that she was there.

Quickly, Amelie's attention turned to Gwion. It was the first time I had seen them together since he had healed her, and I was intensely curious about their relationship. From Myrnin, I knew that Gwion wanted Amelie to return with him. But vampire relationships did not always play out similar to human ones. Gwion had given me a striking example of that with his shameless flirtation a few days ago. I tried not to blush as I remembered him warning me not to capture his attention. If I had been willing, I had no doubt he would have eagerly taken me...Probably right there in the hospital room, I thought with a smirk. He didn't seem to have any inhibitions. Although I'm certain Eve would have had something to say. My lips turned up in a smile, imagining the hell-that-would-have-been-Eve, if he had tried something like that. And then there was Raven. I wondered how she fit into the picture.

"Hello, beautiful," the words rolled seductively off of his tongue as he stared at Amelie appreciatively. If she was affected by his charms, I couldn't tell from her easy neutral smile in return. "Did you come to tell me the words I want to hear?" He asked suggestively.

I held my breath. I couldn't believe they were going to discuss it right in front of me. In the back of my mind, I wondered if my heightened interest was a bit voyeuristic, but then decided I didn't care, as I continued to stare.

"You would get bored of me far too quickly," she demurred.

"We both know that is not true," his voice lowered into a tantalizing growl. It was obvious he was referring to a past rendezvous. "Would you really break my heart twice?"

Amelie rolled her eyes and replied, "I dare say that your heart has never been broken."

He laughed and teased, "You are a cruel, cruel woman. No matter, I am confident you will come around." I was struck by the absolute certainty in his words. He had no doubt that she would return with him – I just wondered if it would be willingly. For the briefest of seconds, Amelie's eyes hardened before lapsing back into her cool demeanor.

Suddenly, Gwion turned his attention solely toward Eve and provided the news we had all been waiting to hear, "She's ready."

Eve gasped and confirmed anxiously, "She is fully formed? So what happens now? Do we just wait for normal labor to begin?"

Gwion smiled and replied knowingly, "You won't be waiting for long. When I said she was ready, I meant she is eager to meet you."

Tears of joy and wonder crested Eve's eyelashes and rolled down her cheeks – and then reality set in. "Michael! Where is he?! And we need Myrnin...And Dr. Goldman... And my obstetrician," Eve rattled off orders, looking more than a little scared that the moment she had been waiting for was fast approaching.

Amelie murmured she would make sure Michael returned immediately, and I was already on the phone with Myrnin. I rubbed Eve's arm, trying to calm her.

In less than fifteen minutes, the room filled with people. I was on Eve's right while Michael was on her left. She gripped his hand fiercely. The labor pain had begun. Eve panted a little through each light contraction.

Myrnin was behind me. He was going to be Eve's epidural, since traditional drugs could interfere with Faeryn. I smiled as I recalled our earlier conversation. Myrnin had been shockingly adamant, that he stand nowhere near – even the remote possibility – of witnessing Faeryn being born. I had laughed at his squeamishness and teased, "But if the doctor can't make it in time, you're the one with the most medical knowledge, so of course; you would have to deliver the baby." He had stared at me in horror, which just made me laugh harder. Clearly, birthin' babies wasn't his thing.