The Missing Piece

Chapter 39 – The Missing Piece

I spun around to find Gwion standing behind me!

"I see you are feeling better," he smirked. He leaned leisurely against the doorway, but his presence seemed to fill the entire room. He wore a sleek black suit that must have been custom tailored, because it clung to his muscular physique flawlessly, making him look extremely – masculine. My gaze wandered slowly down his body and back up. His lips curled at my obvious appreciation.

Gwion eyed me speculatively and murmured, "You saved me a trip. I was just headed to check on you. I knew Myrnin was giving me a line of bullshit about your being sick. I must say though, I did not expect to find that he had changed you."

Shane inhaled sharply. "Changed?! You are a vampire now?! WHY would you do that?" His eyes were wide in shock, and then understanding crossed his expression. "You never wanted a chance to talk about our relationship – you knew I would never want you now – you were just fucking with my head, again," he hurled the accusation at me in disgust.

"Be careful, boy. I let you live once. I am not a generous man," Gwion warned in a low voice. His normal smirk was replaced with the anticipatory smile of a cold-blooded killer.

I shivered.

Shane clenched his fists. Without another word, he stormed past Gwion out of the room.

Gwion smiled and began again, "So, let me see if I understand you correctly. You decide not to attend the party with Myrnin, but then you sneak in and try to get your ex-boyfriend to go out on a date with you. Does that about cover it?" He shook his head without waiting for my response and continued, "While Raven says he is a surprisingly giving lover for a human, I highly doubt that Myrnin leaves you wanting. So, what could you possibly need with the human?"

I ignored his question and hissed, "What are you doing with Shane?"

"Hmmm...you sound very territorial... Interesting... Not to worry, Raven has been very gentle with him. Frankly, it was quite a generous offer on my part – knowing what I know about Raven." He winked. "I just gave him something to take his mind off of you. Is that a problem?" he asked innocently.

I glared at him, "Of, course not!"

"And yet, here you are, playing with that poor boy's emotions... Just to get him away from a very effective distraction, tsk, tsk..." his voice trailed off pointedly. "She did teach him a few tricks, so if you want him back, I am certain he will be better for the experience," he added with feigned helpfulness.

My hands clenched my hips as I scowled at him defiantly. He smiled wickedly, his unfathomable gaze pulling me in. There was something different about his eyes. I didn't know what it was, but it drew me to him like a moth to a flame. The moment lingered as adrenaline coursed through me, causing my chest to heave and I gasped, "Are you compelling me?"

"Why do you think I am compelling you?" He chuckled and tilted his head to the side.

"The way you're looking at me," I stuttered.

His smile widened. "No, little minx, I am not compelling you. Whatever you feel right now – that is all you," he spoke with a seductive smile, as he advanced on me. I took a few cautionary steps to the side, circling him slightly to maintain the space between us. I wasn't sure how he accomplished it, but I was fully convinced he was prowling toward me.

"But I must confess... Now you have me curious... What are you feeling? Will you let your guard down, so that I can taste you?" he purred.