Chapter Forty-Four - Birthday Blues

I was still stood in the glass elevator, a couple of tears spilling over the rims of my eyelids as I clutched my hand over my mouth.

It was my birthday, our birthday and I had been so wrapped up in trying to save the city every night and training all day, and trying to work on top of visiting my mother that I had completely forgotten.

Honestly, I was more shocked that all of my friends and my family had forgotten as well, or had conveniently decided to leave it out, perhaps scared that they would bring up bad memories since it wasn't just my birthday.

Tina's card was a generic message, though, the fact that she had remembered was enough to make it worthwhile.

I wiped my eyes and shook the feeling out of my head, trying to get myself together as the elevator was still going down.

Out of the corner of the lift, I could hear a low buzzing noise from a fair distance away. Slowly turning around, I came face to face with an entire fleet of robotic bees in front of me.

"Hello, Emily," Brie greeted through her robotic bees, causing me to jump as I wasn't exactly expecting to hear her.

"You little piece of shi-" I quickly grabbed my phone out of my pocket, turning it on as I slowly watched the logo pop up.

"Always such a buzzkill," Brie joked as the bees began to penetrate through the glass windows. I slammed the nearest button next to me, causing the doors to fly open, but only about a third of the door had opened on the floor, creating a tiny gap about a foot above my height.

Just as the glass smashed and the bees came flooding in, I took a few long strides and jumped through the hole, landing on my stomach as I got up and started to run. There wasn't anything that I could do against metal bees, especially given my allergy to their toxin.

I rifled through my bag to try and find my EpiPen until I remembered that I didn't have my usual bag with me and so it was not in there. My phone had finally turned itself on, meaning that I could press my panic button and hopefully, Barry would be able to get me out of here.

I could hear the bees advancing as I turned the corner, though, I was quickly forced to stop as the corridor had reached a dead end. I completely went into panic mode, trying to see a way out of here. I banged on the glass, trying to see whether I would be able to smash it to at least give me the chance to stay alive.

My attempts to break the glass were futile, as I couldn't power them up as I wouldn't dare expose my powers to a psychopathic roboticist who was trying to kill me. My breathing had become extremely laboured as I was trying to stay calm, though, I knew I wasn't going to get out of here.

"Brie, you don't have to do this," I pleaded, my body pushed up against the glass end as I shuffled myself into the corner, trying to make my surface area as small as possible.

"You ruined my life, Stone! I lost everything because of you, and Lindsay, and Bill and McGee. My bees could've saved so many people from dying at war. If you weren't so jealous of me, that I had research that was actually successful."

"How many lives have your precious bees saved now? You've just killed two people!" I exclaimed.

"Well, Doctor Stone, get ready to bee my third."

She ordered her bees to attack as I heard the humming grow louder, causing me to flinch into a foetal position as I tucked my hands over my head to brace myself for the impact.

Hundreds of stingers attacked my body, pushing their way into my skin and unloading the lethal toxin. More tears pricked my eyes as the pain was nothing like I had ever experienced before. I let out a defying scream, reverberating around the glass-enclosed corridor.