Prologue

"So, remind me what this particle accelerator thingy is again?" Eve asked, her face looking completely and utterly confused as the twins walked into S.T.A.R Labs for the unveiling of their newest project.

"So basically, it speeds up particles using electromagnetic fields to help us in our understanding of molecular science and medicine," Emily looked over at her sister to see a face contorted in confusion, but it soon faded as the words sank in.

"Oh okay, I sorta get it now, Em," Eve replied, nodding her head as her eyes began to wander around the crowd of people.

"I guess the only thing you'll have to worry about is if something bad happens," Emily joked, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"What do you mean, something bad?" Eve said with a startled look on her face as she turned to her sister.

"It, theoretically, could explode. McGee had me doing a little research into potential problems they may face. The weather isn't looking like it'll help either, especially with those clouds rolling in." Eve's lips were parted and made a small 'o' shape as she stared straight back into her twin's intensely amber coloured eyes. She was never one for science.

"Ma'am, I can assure you that it will all run smoothly. Now, may I ask, why would Dr McGee, the head of Mercury Labs, look into problems of the machine?" A fairly tall, but lanky young man asked as he and a glowing young woman arrived at the opening, clad in more casual clothing than Emily's work clothes.

"Well, with all due respect, Sir, I am under obligation to keep my working practices classified from rival companies such as yours. I guess people have to keep an eye on new things that crop up in their competitor's pipelines, especially if there's a strong possibility that it could go wrong." The woman beside him only smiled and nodded her head a bit, seeming impressed at Emily's response.

"Oh, I don't work here, I'm just very curious when it comes to new scientific developments, but I'm sure Dr Wells has it all under control. He is the best of the best, after all." Even Eve looked at him like he'd just said something highly offensive.

"I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that, Mister..." Emily prompted, lengthening the end of her word to give him the sign.

"Allen, Barry Allen, and this is my friend, Iris," Barry replied, gesturing to his friend as she smiled at the two blondes.

"Dr Emily Stone and this is my sister, Eve. It's nice to meet someone who's merely curious about science or kind enough to accompany those who do." At this point, they all curtly shook hands and Emily noted that Barry's hand was a touch shaky that would've been relatively insignificant to the unobservant.

Iris began to tilt her head, her eyes flitting back and forwards between Eve and Emily. "Do you two happen to be twins?"

"I'm eight minutes older," Emily stated very proudly with a grin on her face.

"Our birthday is on April 1st so every April Fool's Day we used to borrow each other's clothes and go to each other's classes since they had no idea who was who. She had to kiss my boyfriend at one point," Eve explained as Emily shuddered at the thought that Eve's boyfriend didn't even realise that she wasn't his girlfriend, despite her apparent 'total lack of character' compared to Eve. They had coloured contacts to fool their peers even more since their eye colours differed dramatically.

"And you're both British?" Barry asked, looking very curious at the two new friends he had just made.

"Our parents emigrated when a new government got elected and nearly ruined the country's economy, in their opinion. They thought it would be easier to get out before it turned nasty, plus Dad made it pretty big over here so they decided to stay," Eve replied, with her sister nodding like a bobble-head behind her shoulder.